• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Center brace replacement

Ballen0351

Members
So I bring home my new tank last night get it set up filled it and notice the center brace is ripping apart. so I drained it back about half way and the tear closed up. What's the best way to fix it?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
How big is the tank? Easiest thing on smaller tanks is to replace the broken frame. For larger tanks, I have seen people fabricate a bracket that fits across the top of the tank that is "U" shaped (although the 2 parallel sides are only an inch or two long). Others have used epoxy to "glue" an acrylic rod to the glass on the inside of the tank to provide the support.

Leffler817

CCA Members
Is the break in the middle of the brace or along the sides as the brace connects to the frame? It sounds like it's next to the frame which limits your solutions. I've used a U bracket, like Jon mentioned, made out of ply wood successfully. However I could not put a canopy over the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ballen0351

Members
It's not broke in the middle. it kinda tore where the brace meets the frame. it's not totally apart yet. My phone won't let me post a pic. when I get to a computer I'll post a picture

Ballen0351

Members
Or maybe 2 sections of angle iron and weld in braces in between them. if I cut the angle iron 6 ft long same as the tank you might not even notice it.

JLW

CCA Members
You can't. :) They're such an odd-ball item that virtually no store actually stocks them. Most good LFS will special order them for you, though (check with Congressional, I know they do).

I will tell you this: the cost of a new frame, the pain of removing the old one, gluing and getting the new one in place, and having your tank broken down for 3-4 days while you do this (remember, glue takes 48 hours to set).... I've done it exactly once. I've had it happen 4-5 times since... and I just replace the darn tank. Unless this is an expensive, nice, or very large tank, it's not worth it.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Do you have any friends who kayak repair cars, boats etc...?
Ask then for a piece if fiberglass cloth and resin...then you can apply over the broken joint. And it should be fish safe.
You can buy the stuff at an auto repair shop. But try asking around so you don't have to buy a huge tank of resin or roll of cloth.

Ballen0351

Members
Didn't think about the fiberglass I got a bunch in the garage. I think I'm going to make a new frame from steel and weld it up tomorrow after work. I would have done it today but I'm out of steel and being Sunday nothing was open

clearsky5

CCA Members
I have a 50gal? (36"x12"x 28"high) the center brace was broken, much like what you are describing.
I figured I would give it one go and if it didn't work, just junk the tank or cut it up for parts....glass and such....

So, I took two pieces of plexiglass, the width of the tank from trim to trim, fashioned a bit of a "T" on either end, and one thinner piece (the width of the trim lip) and put it in between the two T pieces. I used acryllic glue and fused the three pieces of plexi together first, but i did not glue right to the T ends.
once the plexi t braces had dried, I slipped the ends over the tank trim, ad I drilled to small holes through the plexi T ends and through the tank lip.

I put to very small Stainless Steel screws through the T brace and the tank trim lip. Oh,,,, before I put the screws through, I squirted cement into the T ends, and quickly fixed them in place and then ran the screws through...

As Josh mentioned,,, unless you are somewhat passionate about saving this tank, it is probably not worth it....

I wanted to see what could be done with a brace so I played with materials I had on hand.

david

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Didn't think about the fiberglass I got a bunch in the garage. I think I'm going to make a new frame from steel and weld it up tomorrow after work. I would have done it today but I'm out of steel and being Sunday nothing was open

If you've got the fiber glass just use the old one as a template/mold...it's free and don't have to worry about rust etc.
Just my opinion