• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB: Glass Top

Ading522

Members
if you cant find any used ones here, get some at a glass shop cut for you.. if not, drsforsterandsmith always have them.. free shipping for $49 i think..

mchambers

Former CCA member
If you buy online, make sure you get the right size. Some 24" lids are 23.75" and others are bigger. Measure carefully.

Raven20

Members
Go to a Mom and Pop hardware store....Heck of a lot cheaper than ordering online....I bought 6pcs 27"x10" for $25

Ading522

Members
But many people like the convenience of the lids that open and close in the front.. Glass pieces usually do not have this unless you buy the hinges, or leave an inch or so in the front for feeding purposes. Last time I used the glass front of an old picture frame that I taped the edges with painters tape..worked fine.

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Raven20

Members
Run a bead of silicon on top of the 2...smooth it out...let dry...instant hinge...no gap inbetween

Siklid

Members
Additionally, glass from a hardware store (Lowes, Ace etc.) in not tempered glass and is fragile. When it is cut, the edges are extremely sharp and should be roughed down if you are going to handle it over and over again.

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
plexi-glass is another option. I've successfully cut plexi-glass for a table top using circular saw with plywood blade running backwards in the saw.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I would guess that Christine was asking how long each application of silicone works. A tube would last for a long time, but if you had to make a new "hinge" every month, I would think it would become a time consumer.