• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

DIY Hinges for Glass Tops

mchambers

Former CCA member
Some of the black strip hinges on my glass tops have broken or are about to break. I could buy more, but it's not cheap, due to shipping in a big box. Also, I'm wondering if there is a DIY solution, such as buying clear acrylic hinges and siliconing/gluing them to the glass panels.

I've read of people simply creating a hinge of silicone, but that doesn't seem very durable to me, and I don't want to be doing this every six months.

Creative suggestions welcomed.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I think I remember Sam had a source for these pretty cheap last year. Poke around with a search.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Yes, your memory is correct. Before I posted, I searched and saw that in 2011 Sam was going to do a group order for the standard aquarium hinges, in 72" lengths, cuttable into whatever size you needed. Looks like the group order never happened.

http://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9371&highlight=hinge

Here's what he was going to order:

http://abcplastics.com/index.php?pa...category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

I'm not sure what the shipping costs are, but it might be cheaper to buy a bunch of clear acrylic piano hinges, since they would fit in a much smaller box. They also might be more durable.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I ended up buying some 12" clear acrylic piano hinges, which can be cut to smaller size. I'm planning to use hot glue to seal them to the glass, when I stop being lazy.

The living hinges would be good, but really only make sense economically with a big (group) order. I think the piano hinges will be more durable.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Crap shoot

The made-for-aquarium ones are hit or miss. Some last for years, but the last ones I got from Marineland on two 5 gallon lids didn't last three months. One moving part and those bozos couldn't even get it right. Un-effing-believable.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Solution

As I said earlier, I ended up using clear acrylic piano hinges. I have since found another that sells those hinges and living hinges. Might be worth checking out if you need either: Http://www.mcmaster.com

This is what the piano hinges look like:

1f8748f3cb4251a45c17f53d3c8a8f72.jpg

JasonC

Members
Didn't see the hinges Matt was talking about, but look up item#11185A141, that is a clear acrylic door style hinge that is only $.92... most lids would only need 2 I would think.

Also, for 1/4" acrylic (or glass), I found item#11565A11 which is a slip on hinge sold in 6' lengths for appx. $3.30/lf.

Matt, did you have a product # for the one you bought?

I love McMaster-Carr... it's my toys-r-us ;P

mchambers

Former CCA member
Nope

did you just use sealant to glue those to the glass tops?

I think silicone would work, but it supposedly does not adhere to acrylic as well as it does to glass.

Accordingly, I used hot glue. So far, I've done three sets of lids, and the hot glue has worked well in 5 out of 6 cases. Am hoping I can just reglue the 6th one.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Sorry for the confusion

Didn't see the hinges Matt was talking about, but look up item#11185A141, that is a clear acrylic door style hinge that is only $.92... most lids would only need 2 I would think.

Also, for 1/4" acrylic (or glass), I found item#11565A11 which is a slip on hinge sold in 6' lengths for appx. $3.30/lf.

Matt, did you have a product # for the one you bought?

I love McMaster-Carr... it's my toys-r-us ;P

I didn't buy from McMaster-Carr. I only learned about this company today, talking to my son and my brother-in-law.

I bought from Josh's Frogs on eBay, at about $2.15 per clear acrylic hinge in 12" lengths.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
McMaster Carr is magical. We get their paper catalog at work. It's about 3 inches thick and over 1000 pages.

JasonC

Members
McMaster Carr is magical. We get their paper catalog at work. It's about 3 inches thick and over 1000 pages.

When I worked a job that actually needed to order stuff from them, that beautiful paper catalog sat right next to its equally fun counterpart... the grainger catalog ;P

mchambers

Former CCA member
Update: the hot glue did not adhere to the glass lids very well, so I ended up using ordinary silicone, which seems to be working a bit better, at least in the short term.

AquaStudent

Members
So silicone > hot glue?

I just got a glass top for my 29 and I don't like the opaque plastic hinge. Was looking into a solid acrylic sheet but they are just too expensive for a sturdy one.

How do you like the hinge?

I was thinking of doing two 12" strips evenly spaced. Do you like yours?

mchambers

Former CCA member
Yes, silicon > hot glue, at least on the glass. Don't know yet how well the silicon adheres to the acrylic (right now, it's adhering to the hot glue on the acrylic).

I like the hinge.