• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Xystichromis phytophagus - anyone in CCA have them?

lkelly

Members
Looking for anybody in the DC/VA/MD area who might have these. Specifically stock from Dave's Fish or some other verified CARES source. Shoot me a PM if you keep or breed these fish.

Thanks.

Leffler817

CCA Members
I kept a group years ago. Man are they pretty! I shouldn't have sold them off. You can try to contact s10jimmy, he has a ton of Vics. I don't know for sure that he has them but I usually check with him.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lkelly

Members
That picture on Batfish's website looks pretty iffy. May want to check where they got their stock from, as these fish crossbreed pretty easily with other Vics. The ones I have are CARES registered and orginally came from Greg Steeves through Dave's. Hoping to keep a solid, known lineage going...

dogofwar

CCA Members
Pretty hard to know the actual provenance of nearly any Vics - most are nearly extinct in the wild (or totally extinct) and the lake has changed in ways that make the fish that remain different than they used to be. Best thing is to have someone like Greg look at the fish and assess whether they're the right thing.

Registration in the CARES program is no validation or guarantee of anything other than that someone sent an email to register the fish in the CARES program.

Matt

That picture on Batfish's website looks pretty iffy. May want to check where they got their stock from, as these fish crossbreed pretty easily with other Vics. The ones I have are CARES registered and orginally came from Greg Steeves through Dave's. Hoping to keep a solid, known lineage going...

lkelly

Members
I agree, that's why I went the extra mile to get mine from Greg. I figured that was a better shot at a valid lineage than some Aquabid purchase.

As for registering with CARES, I found that to be extremely frustrating. It took forever, and I ended up having to become a HCCC member just to get it done. I wish it had been a simple e-mail.

Pretty hard to know the actual provenance of nearly any Vics - most are nearly extinct in the wild (or totally extinct) and the lake has changed in ways that make the fish that remain different than they used to be. Best thing is to have someone like Greg look at the fish and assess whether they're the right thing.

Registration in the CARES program is no validation or guarantee of anything other than that someone sent an email to register the fish in the CARES program.

Matt

dogofwar

CCA Members
It shouldn't be harder than the process below (I've registered lots of fish). Just depends if Claudia is busy or not, I guess!

All of this stuff depends on literally a handful of volunteers (or fewer), nearly all of whom have days jobs and a million other fish-related volunteer activities (in Claudia's case, she's the - volunteer - editor of the ACA's Buntbarsche Bulletin).

How to register:

If you are maintaining species on the C.A.R.E.S. Conservation Priority List, please e-mail Claudia at Claudia@CARESPreservation.com with the following information:
a) your name
b) your postal address
c) your e-mail address
d) your telephone number (optional)
e) the name of each species
f) where or from whom obtained
g) collection location, if available
h) when obtained (approximate date is fine!)

Matt

lkelly

Members
It was months of e-mails with Leslie, Claudia, Troy, and others. I had hoped it was as simple as you outlined below. To give them credit, I did get a nice apology from Troy where he said, "Sorry for the ridiculous measures you've been put through to get your fish registered."

They seem like well-intentioned individuals, but the organization could use some work.

Sort of hi-jacked this thread. Back to Christmas Fulu discussion. I sent an e-mail to Batfish to see if they could tell me where their stock came from. The picture on the site doesn't look a lot like my males. They can really change color, but I haven't seen that much blue without at least some of the red trim on the tops of the fins. Males in full color are an amazing combo of red, green, and some blue (with dark black stripes running through the face).

It shouldn't be harder than the process below (I've registered lots of fish). Just depends if Claudia is busy or not, I guess!

All of this stuff depends on literally a handful of volunteers (or fewer), nearly all of whom have days jobs and a million other fish-related volunteer activities (in Claudia's case, she's the - volunteer - editor of the ACA's Buntbarsche Bulletin).

How to register:

If you are maintaining species on the C.A.R.E.S. Conservation Priority List, please e-mail Claudia at Claudia@CARESPreservation.com with the following information:
a) your name
b) your postal address
c) your e-mail address
d) your telephone number (optional)
e) the name of each species
f) where or from whom obtained
g) collection location, if available
h) when obtained (approximate date is fine!)

Matt

lkelly

Members
I've had males (usually the dominant one) start at just over an inch. You'll see red just behind the gills first. They also get bigger quicker than females, both in general size and in height.

I lost my parents a few months ago and the 8 fry I grew out came in at 6 males, one female (was holding when I came back from PA the other day!), and one uncertain. The uncertain may be a really sub-dominant male, but I hope it might be a female. What a crummy statistical outcome.

At what age do they really start coloring up?

EdWhite

Members
I got two from Dave about a month ago. They were about 1 inch and completely silver. One is starting to show some red and his black facial markings come and go. I'll likely go ahead and order more from Dave when he has them available again.
First venture into Vic's and I'm falling in love with them. Got some red flanks and some Latifasciata too.