• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

MonsterAquariaNetwork and Li need your help!!

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Monster.com should go after everyone. They were the first LOLOL

I signed.

I heard that monster cable went after monster.com at one point.
If you look at monster.com's web site on the bottom it tells you how to find monster cable if thats what you are looking for. lol

msjinkzd

invert junkie
Just a quick clarification as well about the trademarks-

in 2007 Li got the class 38 trademark, which was for the online forum. He applied for an expansion of his trademark last year to include class 25, which is merchandise and apparel (which is still pending), and that is when Monster energy came after us.

I am hoping that all of our efforts will pay off and they will drop this absurdity. I really do wish some comedy program would pick it up since it seems so ridiculous.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Even if you've seen this mentioned on your Facebook updates several times over the last couple of days, please repost the article containing the petition on your wall, so your non-fishkeeping friends can add their support.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Not exactly

Freedom of speech is still protected in this
country last time I checked. They can get stuffed.
Defamation is still actionable, notwithstanding the First Amendment. Obviously, expressing your views about the merits of the claims against the Monster Aquaria Network should be protected. On the other hand, making derogatory comments about the energy drink or similar products could be defamatory. I'd stick to the former, if I were you.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Simply stating that you and your friends will not purchase their beverages until these actions cease should be enough for them to hear.

verbal

CCA Members
Has anyone gotten an email response from Monster Energy Drink? I submitted an email via the form on their website.

I wasn't expecting anything great or helpful, but I am a little surprised to at have not gotten at least a form email.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Nope, won't get it done

Simply stating that you and your friends will not purchase their beverages until these actions cease should be enough for them to hear.

I've been mixing it up with special interests for about 25 years now beginning with the HJ Heinz Co. and currently with Dupont, and I can tell you that these guys are so insulated and so smug in their elitist opulent self-regard that it's going to take more than idle threats. I'm thinking more along these lines:

Monster Beverage Corporation
Rodney Sacks, CEO
Santa Monica, CA

Dear Rodney:

It has recently come to my attention that your company's ambitions regarding the sale of hyper-caffeinated beverages to youth and other discriminating consumer demographic groups have evolved to the point that your legal affairs department is now engaged in attempts to obtain dominion over the letter "M" and the English word "Monster". I refer to the recent suit filed against Monster FishKeepers Aquarium Network (MFA) claiming that the use of these marks constitutes trademark infringement and would cause confusion with your company's own MONSTER, MONSTER ENERGY, and MONSTER Claw M marks/products.

While your own staff and expert legal team, whom doubtless earn fabulous amounts of money commensurate with your own $65.81 million 5-year corporate compensation package, may not be able to differentiate between a live freshwater fish and an aluminum can containing excessive amounts of caffeine designed to seduce young consumers and coach potatoes into believing that human vitality can simply be bought, I am quite certain that most people can discriminate between the two, and that your company is not so much at risk from external infringement of its marketing and branding so much as it is from internal ineptitude, incompetency and a misguided and utter lack of sense regarding what truly represents the best interests of MBC, formerly Hansen's Natural, or MNST as it is designated on the New York Stock Exchange. In so far as you sold 150,000 MNST shares at an average price of $75.29 on June 13, 2012 for a total transaction amount of $11,293,500.00, as well as 1,020,000 shares of MNST stock in December, January, March and May, I must say that I view the personal decision to liquidate your holdings in the company as extremely astute given indications that the Monster Beverage Company's senior management and corporate counsel are running amok.

Fish-keeping is the second most popular hobby in the United States and there are presently over ten million households in America that maintain aquariums for fish, and several hundred state, regional and national aquarium clubs and societies. As CEO you might consider asking your legal department, corporate affairs and particularly your consumer relations departments to reassess MBC/MNST's near and long-term corporate strategy in light of the fact that they seem to be doing their utmost to antagonize a very large part of the US consumer market with what may be one of the most ridiculous lawsuits ever filed. If you and they choose to ignore this suggestion at the risk of bringing ridicule to a company that at the end of the day appears to derive its greatest share of glory (and revenue) from selling stimulants to unwitting teenagers, well, go for it. I daresay that your company will ultimately lose in the all-important court of public opinion, face tremendous ridicule, and loss or depression of market share in the process, but then that will only make your recent decision and that of other board members to sell your shares in the company appear prescient.

My friends and associates already view the evolution of this issue with great interest, and are anticipating your legal department's next gambit with respect to achieving suzerainty over a letter of the alphabet, and an English word that has been in common usage for as long as the language has existed and doubtless articulated in some fashion since the dawn of human speech. Much of our discussion revolves around the next logical target in this otherwise illogical and indeed irrational case of corporate paranoia, the likely disinclination to similarly take on attorneys representing River Monsters or Monster Fish of the National Geographic Channel, and the distinct possibility that nationally celebrated comedians, talk-show hosts, journalists and bloggers will seize upon this as the newest example of inane corporate activity and an omen of similarly misguided action by companies wishing to be accorded ownership for parts of the English language.

While your use of the word monster is a prized corporate asset, as a policy analyst and communications professional it occurs to me that it could easily become a liability in so far as monster and monstrous may soon be used to describe the company and its personnel rather than its products. For my part, it is my devote hope that this case goes to trial, for unless I am mistaken, any judge in the land worth their salt would be hard pressed not to laugh out loud before dismissing it on multiple grounds.

As of yesterday a boycott was started against your company and its products. By the end of next week every fish club in America will know about it, and after that the community of manufacturers and retailers whom support the hobby and indeed rely on it for their livelihoods will be enjoined. Thereafter and if necessary, it will promulgate through social networking, the internet and other means throughout the dog, cat, reptile and larger pet-keeping community so that in a very short time virtually every associated household, forum, website and related retail outlet in the country will know of MBC's predatory intent as it pertains to a respected member and voice for America's true national pastime. Materials are being prepared (read as "viral marketing") for distribution on the web that I believe you and your shareholders will find to be a source of great interest if not necessarily amusement, the content, timbre and distribution of which will depend on if you chose to proceed with the lawsuit, and how long any choice to do so persists.

If you really want to know what it is to create a monster, by all means continue, though if you pause to reflect I believe you'll find that your company needs the public relations nightmare you're courting far less than it does the termination of the Monster Fishkeepers logo and brand. In any case, if your company does not withdraw the lawsuit against MFK by the end of this month, much of what ensues will beyond you and your companys ability to control.

My best to you and yours,
Samuel F. LaBudde
Washington, DC

NOTE: This draft text of a hypothetical personal communication in no way represents the position, policy or views of the Capital Cichlid Association, its affiliates or members.

Last edited:

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Dearly beloved...

I finally LOVE something that Sam has posted.

I take it you mean as opposed to mere adoration...:D

There's no way our community has to roll over and take this - woke up at midnight and discovered just how truly vast we be. And, we've the added benefit of what is right is on our side.

No prisoners.

Last edited:

dogofwar

CCA Members
Clearly not Sam's first tussle with "The Man" !

Matt

I've been mixing it up with special interests for about 25 years now beginning with the HJ Heinz Co. and currently with Dupont, and I can tell you that these guys are so insulated and so smug in their elitist opulent self-regard that it's going to take more than idle threats. I'm thinking more along these lines:

Rodney Sacks, CEO
Santa Monica, CA

Dear Rodney:

It has recently come to my attention that your company's ambitions regarding the sale of hyper-caffeinated beverages to youth and other discriminating consumer demographic groups have evolved to the point that your legal affairs department is now engaged in attempts to obtain dominion over the letter "M" and the English word "Monster". I refer to the recent suit filed against Monster FishKeepers Aquarium Network (MFA) claiming that the use of these marks constitutes trademark infringement and would cause confusion with your company's own MONSTER, MONSTER ENERGY, and MONSTER Claw M marks/products.

While your own staff and expert legal team, whom doubtless earn fabulous amounts of money commensurate with your own $65.81 million 5-year corporate compensation package, may not be able to differentiate between a live freshwater fish and an aluminum can containing excessive amounts of caffeine designed to seduce young consumers and coach potatoes into believing that human vitality can simply be bought, I am quite certain that most people can discriminate between the two, and that your company is not so much at risk from external infringement of its marketing and branding so much as it is from internal ineptitude, incompetency and a misguided and utter lack of sense regarding what truly represents the best interests of MBC, formerly Hansen's Natural, or MNST as it is designated on the New York Stock Exchange. In so far as you sold 150,000 MNST shares at an average price of $75.29 on June 13, 2012 for a total transaction amount of $11,293,500.00, as well as 1,020,000 shares of MNST stock in December, January, March and May, I must say that I view the personal decision to liquidate your holdings in the company as extremely astute given indications that the Monster Beverage Company's senior management and corporate counsel are running amok.

Fish-keeping is the second most popular hobby in the United States and there are presently over ten million households in America that maintain aquariums for fish, and several hundred state, regional and national aquarium clubs and societies. As CEO you might consider asking your legal department, corporate affairs and particularly your consumer relations departments to reassess MBC/MNST's near and long-term corporate strategy in light of the fact that they seem to be doing their utmost to antagonize a very large part of the US consumer market with what may be one of the most ridiculous lawsuits ever filed. If you and they choose to ignore this suggestion at the risk of bringing ridicule to a company that at the end of the day appears to derive its greatest share of glory (and revenue) from selling stimulants to unwitting teenagers, well, go for it. I daresay that your company will ultimately lose in the all-important court of public opinion, face tremendous ridicule, and loss or depression of market share in the process, but then that will only make your recent decision and that of other board members to sell your shares in the company appear prescient.

My friends and associates already view the evolution of this issue with great interest, and are anticipating your legal department's next gambit with respect to achieving suzerainty over a letter of the alphabet, and an English word that has been in common usage for as long as the language has existed and doubtless articulated in some fashion since the dawn of human speech. Much of our discussion revolves around the next logical target in this otherwise illogical and indeed irrational case of corporate paranoia, the likely disinclination to similarly take on attorneys representing River Monsters or Monster Fish of the National Geographic Channel, and the distinct possibility that nationally celebrated comedians, talk-show hosts, journalists and bloggers will seize upon this as the newest example of inane corporate activity and an omen of similarly misguided action by companies wishing to be accorded ownership for parts of the English language.

While your use of the word monster is a prized corporate asset, as a policy analyst and communications professional it occurs to me that it could easily become a liability in so far as monster and monstrous may soon be used to describe the company and its personnel rather than its products. For my part, it is my devote hope that this case goes to trial, for unless I am mistaken, any judge in the land worth their salt would be hard pressed not to laugh out loud before dismissing it on multiple grounds.

As of yesterday a boycott was started against your company and its products. By the end of next week every fish club in America will know about it, and after that the community of manufacturers and retailers whom support the hobby and indeed rely on it for their livelihoods will be enjoined. Thereafter and if necessary, it will promulgate through social networking, the internet and other means throughout the dog, cat, reptile and larger pet-keeping community so that in a very short time virtually every associated household, forum, website and related retail outlet in the country will know of MBC's predatory intent as it pertains to a respected member and voice for America's true national pastime. Materials are being prepared (read as "viral marketing") for distribution on the web that I believe you and your shareholders will find to be a source of great interest if not necessarily amusement, the content, timbre and distribution of which will depend on if you chose to proceed with the lawsuit, and how long any choice to do so persists.

If you really want to know what it is to create a monster, by all means continue, though if you pause to reflect I believe you'll find that your company needs the public relations nightmare you're courting far less than it does the termination of the Monster Fishkeepers logo and brand. In any case, if your company does not withdraw the lawsuit against MFK by the end of this month, much of what ensues will beyond you and your companys ability to control.

Samuel F. LaBudde
Washington, DC

NOTE: This draft text of a hypothetical personal communication in no way represents the position, policy or views of the Capital Cichlid Association, its affiliates or members.

YSS

Members
Holy Sh!t, Sam. :eek: Note to self. Never ever disagree with Sam. If Sam says today is actually a pretty cold day, I say he is absolutely correct.

Love it!

msjinkzd

invert junkie
Just wanted to let you know that our MFK's plight is now being discussed in Europe on PlanetCatfish.com's forum!

Arlene[/QUOTE

Excellent! I had emailed hans-georg evars about this, but it is more likely from the FB presence as several of the european members are friends on facebook with a bunch of us.

Let's keep people informed!

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!

Rodney Sacks, CEO
Santa Monica, CA

Dear Rodney:

Samuel F. LaBudde
Washington, DC

:sign0092:THANKS SAM ....AND :sign0201: TO YOU. THAT WAS A OUTSTANDING LETTER! ;)