• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Beamworks LEDS review

Howie

Members
Received my Beamworks 60" LEDs yesterday. What a difference from the T5 HOs I had! The 9600 lumens it puts out from the 192 10,000K white LEDS and 28 blue actinic LEDS is bright and impressive -- it is a clean white light that let's me see my 120g with Africans, lace rock, white PFS, and ocean blue background with vivid clarity. The fixture has a sleek, low profile look that's stealth and not a boxy eyesore. It has two modes, one for all lights and a night mode for just the blue actinic lights. It plugs into an included clunky power source box that looks and feels very Eastern-bloc Soviet era circa 1975, but it's sturdy and does the job. While many Chinese products like this come with poorly translated and misspelled instructions that are woefully inadequate, this came with no instructions whatsoever. Needless to say, none are needed.

I almost guarantee that these Beamworks LEDS are made in the same factory in China as Marineland and other like LEDs. The only difference is the plain white nondescript box it comes in, no fancy instructions translated into 5 languages, no warranty registration card, and most importantly, the price tag - $129.95 plus free
shipping on eBay from topdogsellers, the merchant in Houston, TX.

Hopefully the lower price point will not mean lower quality and durability. I'm cautiously optimistic and will keep y'all posted.

Last edited:

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Happy you got what you wanted. Please post a pic when you get the chance.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Howie

Members
I will post pics.

Also, shout out and much thanks to Jason for first highly recommending these Beamswork LEDs to me. Jason has a similar model on his sweet new 135 setup.

If you do a ebay search, you find find that topdogsellers sells many types of LED light, all made in China and sell directly to customers at bargain price. I bought about a dozen LED light from topdogsellers, the submersable type that I tied on the inside front of my tank or lay on top of the tank. I have blue, white and pink light.

http://stores.ebay.com/topdogseller...Z1QQ_sidZ412695299QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Submersible-35-20W-Plant-Pink-Aquarium-Accent-Light-Freshwater-Tetra-45x/111030505924?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140602152332%26meid%3D5ec71a79e9e849d085e53b76f99fabd8%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D20140602152332%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D111030502914

spazmattik

Members
I just bought a 72" from the same seller last week :D

I have had my 48" and pair of 36" beamworks for a while now and they have actually held up better than my aqueon LEDs in which one of the power supplies died in less than a year (manufacturer replaced for free) and one the wiring is going bad on one of the plugs for a bulb... but beamworks? the cheap light..? running just fine!

Howie

Members
Great to hear! I'm astounded at how much better the tank looks now. I'll be buying some smaller Beamworks for other tanks eventually. :

I just bought a 72" from the same seller last week :D

I have had my 48" and pair of 36" beamworks for a while now and they have actually held up better than my aqueon LEDs in which one of the power supplies died in less than a year (manufacturer replaced for free) and one the wiring is going bad on one of the plugs for a bulb... but beamworks? the cheap light..? running just fine!

Vinh2o

Members
Has anyone been able to locate a long term review article on this product? I am more concerned about this items performance 3 or 4 years down the line. Also, if a part needed to be repaired or replaced do they offer support in the USA?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Check the plantedtank.net

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Howie

Members
Not sure about replacement parts or customer support. Ideally I suppose maybe the local merchant in TX can help with any future issues. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Becca

Members
I have to say that my Beamsworks lights did not hold up well.

Not sure what Christine's issues were, but with ours, the power supply died about 1.5 years in and a few of the LEDs are no longer functioning.

We've had ours 2+ years now. We were able to purchase a new power supply (there really is no customer support) for a reasonable price and purchased a timer as well.

Don't hook these lights up to a timer not made for them, that will apparently do-in your power supply.

Since we have planted tanks and fish with subtle hues (Chocolate gouramis, Biotodoma cupido, etc.) our fish look MUCH better under customized color settings. The only "out of the box" lights I've ever found that really bring out the subtle beauty of brown fish are a mix of an 18000K and 6500K that's only available for T8 fixtures.

I think if you have Africans the beamswork is probably a great option. Even if it only runs 3 years, you've probably got your money's worth when it comes to the cost of replacing bulbs and energy costs.

I have a dozen of Beamwork purchased last year and they are still running after about a year. I don't know their longivity, but I am happy if I can get 3 year out of them considering them cost no more than replacing a florescent tube. All mine are hooked up to timer, and not sure why timer would affect their longitivity.

Becca

Members
I have a dozen of Beamwork purchased last year and they are still running after about a year. I don't know their longivity, but I am happy if I can get 3 year out of them considering them cost no more than replacing a florescent tube. All mine are hooked up to timer, and not sure why timer would affect their longitivity.

Because the starter/ac adaptor box (not really sure what it's called) isn't made to have electrical current start and stop and start and stop. A timer at the wall turns this whole thing off, but the in-line timer just turns the light off.

chriscoli

Administrator
The power supply literally fell apart (I held it together with electrical tape for a while) and I had leds drop out a short while after it was out of warranty.

Because the starter/ac adaptor box (not really sure what it's called) isn't made to have electrical current start and stop and start and stop. A timer at the wall turns this whole thing off, but the in-line timer just turns the light off.

I guess you and I are talking about two different type of LED. Yours come as a hood light with a sophisticated controls. Mine is just a bare bone light with a DC adaptor.

http://stores.ebay.com/topdogseller...Z1QQ_sidZ412695299QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

Tangcollector

Staff member
Here are pics:

Great pic. I took your idea and set up a 40B with the acrylic paint and Mystic White PFS. I also did another 40B with black plastidip and the same PFS. Both have the exact same light. They both look great but I have to say that I like the blue better.