• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Movers broke my tank!

gcaligan

Members
I hired professional movers for my local move last weekend, and they managed to break my 180g tank. I realize big glass tanks are a major PIA to move, but that's why I hired pros. They seemed to get it loaded on the truck okay, but things took a turn for the worse when moving it into the new place. Even with 4 guys, they struggled getting it onto the stand. I heard cracking noises as they kept setting it down on the decorative trim of the stand. I was hoping it was the stand, but then I saw the bottom tank trim crack and pull away from the glass. One of the movers quickly pushed it back, perhaps hoping I wouldn't notice.
I've heard conflicting opinions about whether the trim is decorative or functional, and I was optimistically hoping the stand would help brace the tank, so I went ahead and test filled the tank.
1/3 fill: doing okay
2/3 full: still okay
Completely full to the point of overflows: no signs of trouble
After a few hours, filled to overflow and turned on return pumps: that's when I hear the drips.
I actually found the leak on the bottom back edge on the opposite side of the tank as the broken trim. I consider myself lucky that the glass didn't blow out, and that I caught the leak early and drained the tank before any major damage. But now what?
My wife complained to the movers, and they said they would make it right, but I'm not sure what that means. Is it possible and worth it to repair the tank? Is it reasonable to expect them to replace a used tank with a new one?
Any suggestions?

Howie

Members
Sorry to hear about your tank. In general, any reputable moving company will be bonded and insured. Pursue all remedies with your movers and hopefully they will make it right. If they don't, then you may need to consult with an attorney. PM me if you have problems--I'm happy to assist, since I'm an attorney.

dogofwar

CCA Members
When we moved here from Cali, movers broke one of our tanks (and a couple of other things) along the way. Just file a claim following their process.

Matt

gcaligan

Members
Thanks for all the responses. My wife is the one who hired them, and so far she has been the one in contact with them. They did say they would "make it right." Im just not sure what to expect by that.
Do we assign a value to my old tank, and they cut a check for that amount?
That probably won't go very far towards the cost of a replacement, not to mention the time and hassle.
What are the odds they will agree to buy me a new tank?
I get that I need to follow the claim process, but it's nice to have an idea of what to expect and what to ask for.

Vinh2o

Members
Make sure you include the cost of having your new tank professionally delivered, as well as any fish you might have lost if you did not have a place for your fish as a result of the damaged tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JLW

CCA Members
Hey Geoff,

I will tell you straight up, the cost of repairing a tank, as a general rule, far and exceeds the cost of replacing it. The best thing for you, and for the movers, would be for them to bring you a new tank.