• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

edsal shelves

after posting a "wtb 40 gallon stand" thread in the marketplace, someone suggested i go with an edsal shelf from home depot.
some of these questions may have been answered on here in the past, and i apologize if so.
looking at the setup, and reading customer reviews, it seems that the 36x60x18 unit is actually two separate 30" units that get bolted together.
does there exists one that is 36x30x18? that'd be less expensive and better suit my needs. otherwise, anybody want the other half? :)
does the unit become less stable if you opt not to use all of the shelves? i really would only need 2 of the 4; one for the tank and one for some miscellaneous knick-knacks that are on the shelf it will replace...if i set up empty shelves, that will only lead to more fish tanks. not that that's a bad thing....
is anyone actually using one of these for a 40 breeder? the weight rating, as i recall, is 450lb. per shelf, but the particleboard kind of worries me a little. also, with the 36x18 footprint the tank will fit rather snugly. is it necesscary to sort of build the shelf around the tank?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
There are two separate pieces that stack to get the height listed on the box. I actually have 2 separate stands out of one shelving unit.

Search my threads. I did a built thread when I set them up a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Tangcollector

Staff member
There are different versions of the stand

One version is rated at 800 lbs/shelf

The other version is rated at 1000 lbs/shelf

I have the heavier duty one. It is great. For a 40B the stand fits perfectly.
I don't see any reason why you couldn't only use the top. The particle board they give you works fine because the tank actually sits on the frame rails.I sealed the boards with black polyurethane to seal it from water. The stand is remarkably sturdy. I also use the remaining three shelves for storage. I also just bought two more 40B so I don't know what I am going to do. Either use my existing one or buy another unit.

The stand that I use is:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_319466-1281...uct_qty_sales_dollar|1&page=1&facetInfo=edsal

20150406_181945.jpg

20150406_181958.jpg