• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Looking for a power strip

londonloco

Members
I remember seeing a thread about an online retailer that makes very long power strips. Long as in feet long. I've searched, but can't find it. Does anyone remember the name of the online retailer that carries these? Need one for my rack.....

Becca

Members
I saw one at radioshack the other day that has outlets that sort of pull apart, for items with AC adapters, so you don't have the issue of the adapter (or a timer) covering multiple outlets.

londonloco

Members
I finally got tired of the multiple power strips and wire mess on my rack, finally pulled the plug on the 4 foot Tripp, thanks all, this club is amazing!

frankoq

Members
I just use HD or lowes power strips. cable ties to organize the wires behind the rack.
same some $ and use it to get more fish. :)

Jt731

Members
Microcenter also has y cable and short extensions so you can use all the the plugs of the brick is fat

JLW

CCA Members
I don't like using power strips around the aquariums, though I do so myself. I've seen LOTS of these burn up. If you do, make sure you are safely mounting it above the water level of all of your tanks.

A cheaper, easier option is to buy a couple of junction boxes and mount them to the back of the wall, wire them together, and then either directly into your electric line (ok, that's not easier) or to an electric cord that you can then plug in elsewhere.

FishEggs

Wish i saw this sooner. I have a few long power strips laying around. I could give ya one cheap. Not sure on the number of outlets on it, though i don't think it was 16.

i got one at big lots, that i think it 4'. it was $20. black, with yellow outlets such that they look like surprised emoticons.
the packaging specifically said "not for use on aquariums" but so far so good.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I don't know if the long strips are surge protected. I'd get a gfci outlet adapter to plug that strip into.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JLW

CCA Members
A surge protector is not a GFI anyhow, Andrew. A surge protector is designed to protect your delicate computer electronics in the case of an extremely unlikely surge in power, such as if your house or electrical lines are hit by lightning. Other than that, they don't do anything (and, many "surge protectors" still do nothing but look pretty with a glowing orange light... :p ). Most modern fuse-boxes (circuit breakers) will do the same thing anyhow.

If you don't believe me, plug an air pump into your power strip, and toss it into the tank. It won't blow the power strip. (DO NOT REALLY DO THIS! I'm kidding). Seriously, how many of us have had a short from a bad heater, wet light, or whatever, and everything is plugged into a tap strip / power strip / "surge protector?" This is what a GFI is designed to protect against; it can't happen with a GFI.

I highly recommend that any outlet around the aquarium have a GFI installed. You can buy them and install them yourself for about $25, and it really isn't difficult (just follow the instructions, shut off the power first, etc). You can also buy plug in ones for a little bit more.

Frankly, I think pretty much every outlet in the house should have a GFI on it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be back in my "do as I say, not as I do" corner.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
A surge protector is not a GFI anyhow, Andrew. A surge protector is designed to protect your delicate computer electronics in the case of an extremely unlikely surge in power, such as if your house or electrical lines are hit by lightning. Other than that, they don't do anything (and, many "surge protectors" still do nothing but look pretty with a glowing orange light... :p ). Most modern fuse-boxes (circuit breakers) will do the same thing anyhow.

If you don't believe me, plug an air pump into your power strip, and toss it into the tank. It won't blow the power strip. (DO NOT REALLY DO THIS! I'm kidding). Seriously, how many of us have had a short from a bad heater, wet light, or whatever, and everything is plugged into a tap strip / power strip / "surge protector?" This is what a GFI is designed to protect against; it can't happen with a GFI.

I highly recommend that any outlet around the aquarium have a GFI installed. You can buy them and install them yourself for about $25, and it really isn't difficult (just follow the instructions, shut off the power first, etc). You can also buy plug in ones for a little bit more.

Frankly, I think pretty much every outlet in the house should have a GFI on it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be back in my "do as I say, not as I do" corner.

I know they are not the same. I wasn't suggesting a gfci since the strip wasn't surge protected, though I see how my words could be interpreted that way.

You could convert the outlet to gfci, but you could also get a gfci adapter which plugs into the outlet.

While gfci is a great idea for all outlets, especially where aquariums are being used, most of us (and lfs) don't use them consistently. With a long power strip, it is difficult to keep it out of the path of dripped/leaked water, unless it's above the water line.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App