• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

May need to re-home some fish :(

manbern

Members
Hello all! So, with this cold snap that just recently passed through, I found out something about my garage...........it's not insulated well enough to keep my aquariums at an acceptable temperature for my fish. I went into my garage one day to grab my shoes for work, only to find out that my tanks were dark and none of the filters were running! Apparently, it got cold enough in my garage to keep the heaters constantly running, and eventually all that amperage draw, tripped my breaker. I immediately ran back into my house to look at my circuit breakers and sure enough, the one for the garage was tripped. I have all my tank lights on timers, and the last shown time on it, was 6pm. And I found this at 1:50pm the next day! So, it was 20 hours that my fish went without heat! Thankfully, I had a battery backup air pump that only runs when the power goes out, but that too was dead when I checked on the fish, but at least it was there, to provide oxygen until the batteries ran out. I wonder how long the pump lasted? Anyway......

Yeah, I'm thinking that I'll have to re-home my fish that live in the garage, unless you guys can give me some CHEAP tips on how to keep the tanks warm enough throughout the winter. I have 3 Protomelas Marginatus, 1 Red Cap Lethrinops, and 1 Buccochromis Nototaenia, ALL female. Well, the Protos may have a chance to be males, but haven't "popped" male yet. They are all pretty young, 3 inches and under. I also have 3 clown loaches, juvenile unsexed, under 2 inches. And lastly, I have a beautiful juvenile male Pundamilla Nyereri (Ruti Island). I would add him to my display tank, but I think he would just get beat to death because everyone in there is at least triple his size. I remember when I first dropped him into the display tank (along with 4 other new additions), my Diddy Comp straight up stalked him and tried to eat him. He finally found a crevice that the Comp couldn't get into and just stayed there, didn't even come out to eat. So, when I stuck my net down there to get him out of there, he literally swam right into the net, like he was saying "GET ME THE FREAK OUTTA HERE!!!!", Lol! He's grown quite a bit since then, but still too small to go into the display tank.

So, there you have it. I would REALLY LIKE to keep my fish, so tips and advice on how to keep my tanks warm during the winter would highly appreciated. If I just need to chalk this one up as a loss, I guess I have some fish that need a new home because my wife wont allow me to bring my garage setup into the house.

Becca

Members
Can you partition it and add a space heater of some sort? A convection heater might work if you can wall it off a bit and add some insulation.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Are the tanks on stands or racks? Putting a layer of insulation on the bottom of the tank between the rack/stand will help if the bottoms are exposed. Sides and backs can be insulated too, you'll just have to secure the insulation somehow. Insulating the garage would be the best bet, but if thats not practical, insulating the tanks is the next best bet.

Tight fitting good lids will help some with heat loss, as well as evaporation. As becca said, if you can enclose the area it'll be easier to heat or conserve heat, but that depends on your setup. If you can keep the garage heated you wouldn't have to worry about individual tanks.