• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pool filter sand experience

Acpape0

Members
I switch over my 125 to pool filter sand. The Pfs came from Leslie's Pool supplies in Pasadena. 100lbs for $23. I used the bowl and plate trick for filling the tank. No pre rinsing or washing of sand . Documented the process with slide show , almost no clouding of the water at all. Final pic of slide show was less than 30 min after filling. I would recommend Pfs to anyone.
http://youtu.be/KmFK_C1lDcs

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Turned out great. All of my tanks have sand from Leslie's pool (Rockville). I am very happy with it too.

Acpape0

Members
I was surprised how clear the water was.... Always heard it was the way to go but was always hesitant to try sand because of the horror stories you hear about it.. Figured pictures speak louder than words for others looking into it

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

neut

Members
Good stuff.

And a number of cichlids appreciate sand. Also, in a lot of tanks, depending on types of fish, tank setup, filtration, depth of sand, etc. you may rarely have to siphon the sand. Or, depending on tank circulation, only certain parts of the tank may get dirty. But when you do you can reduce sand being sucked up by regulating siphon suction, not a big deal.

I have sand bottom tanks that rarely to practically never get dirty enough to be worth siphoning, including a well stocked Kapampa gibberosa tank (stock level varies according to how many I'm growing out, etc.) and a couple of tanks with geos; both types of fish will do sand sifting, which helps, no doubt.

gcaligan

Members
I like pfs mainly for cost and because my Africans like it- some cool behavior not seen in my gravel or crushed coral tanks.
Downsides: poo buildup on the surface makes it look dirtier, and worse, I scratch the hell out of my glass when I wipe off algae. A couple grains of sand embedded in a sponge really make a tank look bad quickly.