• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Universal Rocks Holey Rock

CichlidDan

Members
Hi everyone,
I was wondering what are people's opinion that have or have had universal rocks Texas holey Rock, worth buying?

Hannibal

Members
I checked these out and then just opted to get the real holey rock for its buffering qualities. Both look nice but I was not sure how the decorations would hold up.

verbal

CCA Members
The durability is good and they are lighter than the real thing. As Chris mentioned the real stuff has the advantage of providing some buffering. They are realistic enough that I think a mix of both would be an option.

chriscoli

Administrator
Sounds like you've already made up your mind (and I support your decision), but since I actually have some of these in my tank here's my two-cents worth.

- they don't look like real holey rock at all up close
- they don't look horrible either
- they do accumulate algae easily, so if you want to maintain them as white, the manufacturer recommends power washing them occasionally (I don't bother)
- I've had mine at least 2, probably 3, years. They're holding up well.
- they sometimes aren't weighted correctly or the way they're shown in the picture so they might not sit the way you want in the tank. I just let mine settle however they want within reason.
- they are really easy to remove which is 100% why I got them. I HATE removing all of the rocks in the tank to chase a holding female....it's much much much easier with these.
- no big dead-ends for a fish to get trapped in (one of my big pet peeves with most aquarium decorations).
- if you lay the small and medium ones flat on the bottom, it makes some great spawning territory or cover for shy fish.
- they don't alter your water chemistry, so depending on what you're looking for, that's a plus or a minus.

CichlidDan

Members
Thanks for the input, I decided to try the deco rock 044-20. I've had it in the tank for about a week. I washed and let it soak for about 30 mins before putting it in and it still clouded the water pretty bad but I did some daily water changes for 3 days and now it's pretty much 100% clear. The one I got isn't weighted right, so right now I have it a little against the glass corner and it's staying up but I will probably get some real Holey rock to hold it up better.

CichlidDan

Members
Universal rock

Haha ok pic is not great but it was taken when the water was cloudy. I'm going to add plants to the tank just have to clean off the algae that has grown on them. Then I'll post another pic

image.jpg