• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help with stocking a community Tangy tank

londonloco

Members
I have a standard 75g tank set up I am planning to turn into a community Tangy tank, and I need help stocking it. Currently it's a planted Angel tank with two Eheim classic 2215's for filtration, plans are to break down the planted tank, sell the Angels, move dither fish to other tanks, add PFS and a bunch of rocks, leaving filtration as it is for now (I have an AC110 and AC75 if I feel I need more filtration).

I have 2 sumbu comps that believe it or not have been living peacefully with the Angels for 21 months. I'd also like to add:

Neopologus similus on other side of tank
Transcriptus "Bemba"
Neolamprologus pulcher
Cllyprichromis leptosoma
Synodonits petricola

maybe starting with 4-6 of each and see how it goes?

Thoughts, comments, advice would be greatly appreciated.

chriscoli

Administrator
I'm not sure I have much to add, but that sounds like a great idea to me. I've been thinking of doing something similar with a 75 too. Right now I have a 40B with some Comp lufubus, some pulchers, some julies, and some Cyps and I'd like to make it into a bigger Tang tank. It's one of my favorite tanks to watch.

londonloco

Members
Wow, your 40b is stocked similarly, can I ask the order you stocked? and where you got your fish? I was thinking of trying to order from Dave's, hoping he can get what I need all at once. I usually keep my Tangy tanks species only, so I'm not sure that's a good idea or not.....

Tangcollector

Staff member
Sounds like a great tank. The only issue I see is that when the Pulchers decide to pair off it can get ugly as they aressively defend the fry and are prolific spawners. I have some beautiful Juvenile Daffodil Pulchers F1 if you are interested.

Leffler817

CCA Members
Sounds like a great tank. I like the stock list. If it were me, I would start with 6 of each until the pulchers and bembas pair off. After which I would remove the extras. Also I'd get more than 6 cyps, it seems to me they like bigger groups. Really nice tank idea! :happy0180:

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chriscoli

Administrator
Wow, your 40b is stocked similarly, can I ask the order you stocked? and where you got your fish? I was thinking of trying to order from Dave's, hoping he can get what I need all at once. I usually keep my Tangy tanks species only, so I'm not sure that's a good idea or not.....

I've added to the tank over time, usually after I'd let a group pair off in another tank and move hem in once a pair formed. The lufubus have been in there forever, the pulchers are the newest. There are a lot of rocks in the tank, so plenty of hiding.

At one point, I also had some Shellies in there, but they were always stressed over defending their shells and didn't do too well so they got moved out eventually. The pulchers do spawn and everyone gives them a wide berth but it's not like all of the other fish are huddling in one corner.

The 40b is too small for the cyps which is why I'd like to put them in a longer tank.

londonloco

Members
Sounds like a great tank. The only issue I see is that when the Pulchers decide to pair off it can get ugly as they aressively defend the fry and are prolific spawners. I have some beautiful Juvenile Daffodil Pulchers F1 if you are interested.

Thanks! I'm not going to be ready to redo this tank until mid July-ish, if you still have the Daffodil's, I'd def be interested in buying some from you.

Sounds like a great tank. I like the stock list. If it were me, I would start with 6 of each until the pulchers and bembas pair off. After which I would remove the extras. Also I'd get more than 6 cyps, it seems to me they like bigger groups. Really nice tank idea! :happy0180:
Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Thanks, I've been researching this for a few months now. Cyps are usually expensive, guess I could swing it tho, how many would you suggest?

I've added to the tank over time, usually after I'd let a group pair off in another tank and move hem in once a pair formed. The lufubus have been in there forever, the pulchers are the newest. There are a lot of rocks in the tank, so plenty of hiding.

At one point, I also had some Shellies in there, but they were always stressed over defending their shells and didn't do too well so they got moved out eventually. The pulchers do spawn and everyone gives them a wide berth but it's not like all of the other fish are huddling in one corner.

The 40b is too small for the cyps which is why I'd like to put them in a longer tank.

The past few years I've downsized from 16 tanks to a measly 6, and 4 of them nano's, so I don't have spare tanks anymore. I'd like to add all fish at once, but wasn't sure if that was advisable. I plan on having lots of rock (from Stone Center here in Manassas) with many hiding spots.

I did want to add N. Similus, as I've never kept them. I would hate to stress them too much....Def something to think about.