• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Mbuna Stocking Help

jmessineo1

Members
I am in the process of acquiring another 75 gallon, to move the male hap and peacock growout to my basement near the 135 show tank, and having the 75 in the living room be a prettier mbuna show tank. I have been doing some reading on mbuna stock and i have read alot about getting 4-6 species in groups of 5-7. is this the best way to stock? I'm looking to get smaller mbuna 3"-4" fish. I'd like to buy groups of juveniles and grow out though I read a lot about there aggression issues, will this be a problem to by 5 species groups of 5 to grow out? or do i really need to by 1m-4f groups? please lend me any advice on the stocking? I'd rather not do a male tank like have for the haps and peacocks as stocking that has cost close to the price I paid for my first car haha jk, but you get the point. Any help would be appreciated!

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
Jason,

I have a 55 gallon tank with 20+ full size mbuna with yellow labs, yellow tail acei, rusties and melanochromis, white top afra and a red-tailed shark. almost all where put in as juvies. I use a marineland c-360 canister filter for filtration, and have a large chunk of holey rock and sea shells in there to maintain high Ph. As you can see in the video, they are all doing well. With the exception of the melanochromis and hara, all have bred. There are 3 rustie juvies that have survived to become adults, and have seen acei and lab fry in the tank (way too many inhabitants to try and evade). Lots of caves and hiding spots help.
https://youtu.be/6wkj_RSH03c