• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New 55 gallon Angelfish/community tank with a stand that I built

Jeff721

Members
Just got the tank fully operational last night (save for a timer for the lights), this was the first time I had turned on all the lights and fish were out of quarantine.
Two sponge filters. Potting soil capped with play sand for substrate. Two LED spotlights and a 2-bulb T5 48" fixture.

7499c01f-9ed9-445d-898a-372b645fe555_zpsv1ugegzw.jpg

Current stock is:
2 Koi Angelfish
6 HY511 tetras
2 Synodontis Eupterus - oddballs that I've had in quarantine forever, not intended as permanent residents

Future stock:
More tetras
10 or more Cories
Maybe a Gold Nugget Pleco
More plants

2015-01-262020.44.45_zpsnepeqklp.jpg

Fish were a little stressed with the new lighting and upgrade from quarantine.
2015-01-262020.44.13_zpsaoudncwu.jpg

lkelly

Members
Is the TV mounted on the wall right above? Or is that box under the tank for changing the aquascaping scene? I assume we are seeing #12 if that's the case.

skanda

Members
Aam planning on doing an amazon biotope myself. why did you use sponge filters instead of HOB or Canister filters? Are they effective for a 55 gallon and opssible a 75 gallon? ion? ?

Jeff721

Members
Thanks everyone. Hopefully it will be a pair of angels. Looks like a male and female and there is no aggression between them.

Yes, this is right under a television. All the furniture already points that way :)

I went with sponge filters for a few reasons. 1. They are simple and cheap. 2. Most big angelfish people use some form of sponge filter. 3. I didn't want too much directional flow in the tank. The plants have a nice sway right now. 4. It's really simple and quiet.

My biggest deciding factor on the sponge filter was honestly the power consumption. We have been heating the whole house with space heaters this winter and need to keep the circuits at a low demand.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Nice update. More val and four super fish. Really wish I had room to do angels again. Hope they pair up for you.

George

Becca

Members
That's a great stand. I can't wait to see what the plants look like when they fill in.

What kind of LED spotlights did you use?

Jeff721

Members
That's a great stand. I can't wait to see what the plants look like when they fill in.

What kind of LED spotlights did you use?

Thanks Becca, what you can't see about the stand in the pic is that it's like "Kermit the Frog" green and white, also it's slightly antiqued.

The LEDs I just had laying around. The biggest on is a refugium light like this one: http://www.amazon.com/JBJ-Nano-Refugium-Light-Aquarium/dp/B003J89HEU. The smaller of the two was scavenged from a tank with LEDs in it that I got off of a friend, so I can't really say.

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff, That is as great looking stand. Do you happen to have the build/plans info to share?

Jeff721

Members
Jeff, That is as great looking stand. Do you happen to have the build/plans info to share?

I will have a look, I think I have the plans that i drew up for myself in my sketchbook. There was a fair amount of improvising while building of course. And you would need a "pocket hole jig" for the center.

I will gladly help you build something like it if you're interested, once it warms up. All my tools are outside in an unheated garage.