• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pics of jewels

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Here are my jewels and there fry. First time I've gotten swimmers they usually eat their eggs but this time they didn't yay! Also they are the most laid back jewels I can put my hand in the tank and nothing no chasing or flaring its so weird... Maybe I spend too much time in the office with them
Also this is the female that had the goiter after treating the water with iodide it literally shrunk..
64EBB41F-B70C-4025-BB52-576107BDF88A-1350-0000010F70F70625_zps50237ea9.jpg
[/IMG]
5C742F20-273E-4146-B0C7-7B5463061350-1350-0000010F67EBCFC9_zpsc6d28dac.jpg
[/IMG]
F0300F61-41BD-49A4-BC06-8B9725C6C34A-1350-0000010F5E9D1602_zps3fc3cbe7.jpg
[/IMG]
1E80E8C6-A757-418B-9273-17B55343FE24-1350-0000010F53B40249_zps321a31fe.jpg
[/IMG]
I wish you could see her belly is red with yellow forehead and tail she has three dots. wish my camera was better.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

this is one fish that i have always loved. there color is completely off the charts. they just dont carry the size or temperment to get along with the other fish i typically have in my collection.

Yup just one of those fish you have to see. Impressive how much they change with mood

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Curious. What size tank are they in?

There in a 20 gallon long...ps only wrks because of their temperament you can ask Kevin who was here earlier these guys are angels I can put my hand in and no aggression so strange...I have another make who was a bully and another female who I got from Karen who was even worse than the male but decided to breed these two bc they are gentle souls compared to other jewels.

kevin911

Members
There in a 20 gallon long...ps only wrks because of their temperament you can ask Kevin who was here earlier these guys are angels I can put my hand in and no aggression so strange...I have another make who was a bully and another female who I got from Karen who was even worse than the male but decided to breed these two bc they are gentle souls compared to other jewels.

Definitely true, I was there early today and they were extremely peaceful. If they had a flat body I would call them discus/ angels loll. Not to mention the bright coloring on the pair!

Any advice on caring for the tank, adults, and fry as the fry grow out? Our Jewells recently hatched out a couple hundred as well. It's awesome watching them gather the fry in the evening and try to put them to bed. I woke up one morning thinking they were all dead, came home in the evening and saw them all swimming about. I realized what was going on when I stayed up late enough to witness the parents corralling them into a cave we have in our tank.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Depending on the kind of filter you have, I would put a filter sock over the intake tube. Or a sponge. Anything to keep them from getting sucked into the filter. I seperated mine into two batches I have a batch growing on their own and a batch still with the parents. The ones with the parents are doing better and I haven't lost any yet. The ones on their own I think I took out too early and had a bunch die. But don't worry about that because they breed like rabbits, the parents will make sure they get enough food just make sure not to stress out the parents. Once they get up to about a quarter inch you can remove them. The reason I left some with the parents is because if you move them too early then the parents will squabble. Is there anything specific don't hesitate to ask.

We placed a sponged over the Ac110 intake. Did a wonderful water change last night and mom and dad did their part keeping the fry to the side. So far so good. Thanks for the tips.

Sent from my C6916 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
These guys are so pretty. I love that you're breeding them for temperament. Maybe if more fish were bred that way community tanks would be a little easier!