• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Frigid Shellies......

tremper

Members
Seriously, I must be inept...... Who can't breed a group of shellies? Besides me that is......

Water temp and chemistry is fine, they have a swanky hotel of 30+ rocking shells to work with, I have a male who shimmies and shivers all day long, good food, I even moved a group of more aggressive fish to another tank to pave the way, yet...., still nothing.

I do have a plethora of those nasty little turritella-esque snails in the tank, must have cleaned out about 500 the other night.......

These occies came from Caleb, originally 8, now 6. Do these pesky snails eat the eggs?

Any advice? Jeez......

Buckcich

Members
In my experience the only shelldwelers that readily breed are the Neol. Multifasciatus (Multi's). All the other shelldwellers I have experience with (5 different species), can be finicky about getting to breed. But once they start, they will continue to breed. Keep taking good care of them and you'll see results.

chriscoli

Administrator
Occies have been the most frustrating for me. I've got multi fry, brevis fry, and ornatipinnis fry so far, but I'm having trouble just getting my occies to make it. I think i read on another post a while back that the more you fuss over shellies, the less they seem to breed. I'm not sure that's always the case...but it was an interesting comment.

tremper

Members
He@#, they might be multi's, perhaps Caleb will chime in. I once took home the wrong kid from school so if I can't identify my own child how can i tell the difference between shellies.......

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
He@#, they might be multi's, perhaps Caleb will chime in. I once took home the wrong kid from school so if I can't identify my own child how can i tell the difference between shellies.......

lmao. Nah, I'm sure they are what Caleb said they were, I was just busting chops. :)

dogofwar

CCA Members
My experience with shellies is that leaving them alone is the best thing to do.

Give them a bunch of shells (or PVC litter or both), good food a couple of times per day....a non-stressful 20% water change per week...and you'll see babies within a couple of months.

Dork with the tank constantly and they'll clam up (pun intended)...

Matt

rsretep

Members
Hey Tremper you gotta look real close for fry, they are tiny and will escape into the refuge of the shell in a blink of an eye.

I have also wondered from time to time about fry and have had to sit and watch for sometimes fifteen to twenty minutes to spot the smaller fry

I have bred L. ornatipinnis L. multifasciatus, L. similus, L. cullipterus, L. occelatus but unfortunately have had no success with L. brevis. And I also have tried alternative methods to get brevis to breed with zero sucess, so I guess not all are meant to be

Good luck joe

tremper

Members
thanks guys..... I see my fish maybe once or twice a week due to travels. As soon as my footsteps hit the floor they're gone as they used to a still environment. Havent tried barry white though marvin gaye obv isn't doing the trick.....

tremper

Members
btw, i was cleaning out my 150 the other day, hard to believe its been a year, and siphoned up a 1/2" long baby pleco. As I have 2 or 3 in the tank, it looks like someone has gotten busy, hard to see how he survived the mouths of 16 large peacocks. I'm pretty sure he is going to turn out to be a new speices of ultra rare pleco, maybe an L666 or something cool like that, so if anyone wants him i'll let him go for $999.99........ :eek:

Still have to cover costs for xmas....... :angry3:

Just kick me a pm....

minifoot77

Members
Well there's your problem right there... :p

blah blah blah hows that leaking pipe in your floor doin?

i really don't remember what ones you got from me joe what do they look like? if they were occies thats why i got rid of them too :)

lmao. Nah, I'm sure they are what Caleb said they were, I was just busting chops. :)

buster :)

toddnbecka

Members
btw, i was cleaning out my 150 the other day, hard to believe its been a year, and siphoned up a 1/2" long baby pleco. As I have 2 or 3 in the tank, it looks like someone has gotten busy, hard to see how he survived the mouths of 16 large peacocks. I'm pretty sure he is going to turn out to be a new speices of ultra rare pleco, maybe an L666 or something cool like that, so if anyone wants him i'll let him go for $999.99........ :eek:

Still have to cover costs for xmas....... :angry3:

Just kick me a pm....
One reason I keep BN in my cichlid tanks is because they eat 99% of the fry. I'm actually hoping the 2 spiny eels in the 220 will snatch the BN eggs before they even hatch.

ezrk

Members
Our occies have bread, but the other occies, especially the second male, are pretty aggressive in hunting them.