• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

If you could start a new tank of Shellies...

chriscoli

Administrator
...what would you do?

I've been enjoying my tank of mixed mbunas, but am really interested in the Shellies for a future tank. Based on your experiences, what would you do? What kind would you get? What mistakes would you avoid?

dogofwar

CCA Members
Get a low tank with lots of surface area...start with about 6-8 little ones (I like multies)...spread some sand and shells across the bottom and let them colonize. A school of danios or the like would be good to occupy the top.

I had a 2'x2'x1' tank set up like that for a couple of years (although mine was with PVC rubble vs. actual shells) and I had more multies than I could get rid of...

I made the mistake of adding some 2" Malawi haps (Protomelas?) to the tank (to control some of the fry) and over time the multie colony ended up squeezing them out of floor space and picking them off!

Fun fish...

Matt

verbal

CCA Members
I think multies might be a good starter. I would definitely go with either 6 to 8 or an established pair.

I have a group of 4 brevis katabe orange belly, but I think they may be all male.

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
Multies are the easiest shellies in my opinion. Floor space is more important than tank height.They tend to only go a few inches above the shells. If you think there are enough shells than add more, lol. Multies get along with one another pretty well and territory spats are pretty brief and mild. They also tend to raise the fry together and not eat them. My ornatipinnis just had their first spawn and ate all but 5 because I intervened. My brevis kavala will also eat the fry. I like not having to pull the multies fry and watch them raise the fry on their own. They are by far my favorite shellie. I've also found that if I neglect the multies tank a little (ie less frequent water changes, let the algae run rampant, and over feed) they spawn more frequently. When I took too good of care they just stared at me.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
For multis, I think a 20L is pretty standard eqpt for them. Loads of shells, finer sand, but not too deep a bed.

For the larger guys, maybe a 40B? Which species is the one that will pick up and move/steal shells from other males? I saw it on some nature show, not sure if they'll do it in captivity though. That's pretty cool I think.

longstocking

Members
Honestly... I'd avoid multies all together. They over populate tanks very quickly and you might have a hard time rehoming the juvies. They are the rabbits of the shelly world.

I'd go for something like Occies... Brevis... caudopuntatus.... similies

Really anything but multies :lol:

It also depends on the tank size but most of the more common shellies do fine in a 20 long.

Cartel

Members
I'm actually looking into starting my first shellie tank. I want something a little less common through. How hard are blue or black occies to find? Or what else is a cool uncommon shellie?

minifoot77

Members
not hard wil you should have ordered from reserve stock... i have brevis kitumba multies Pearle occies and black occies

dogofwar

CCA Members
Must be a local phenomenon: I don't think I've seen a multie in a fish store in years...at least since I stocked the ones in Sacramento with my extras :)

Matt

Honestly... I'd avoid multies all together. They over populate tanks very quickly and you might have a hard time rehoming the juvies. They are the rabbits of the shelly world.

I'd go for something like Occies... Brevis... caudopuntatus.... similies

Really anything but multies :lol:

It also depends on the tank size but most of the more common shellies do fine in a 20 long.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
i've got 5 gold occies, still a little young
if u are interested
not sure on m/f ratio at this point

I have 4 young gold occies that would just love to have some friends if you're looking to rehome yours. Let me know - perhaps I have something of more interest and value to trade than US federal currency.

mdlnewman

Members
I love my Occies. They do so much posturing and such. Besides any fish that is an inch long and will still attack my hand in the tank has got to be loved.

I have a whole spawn of hecqui, looking for homes. The parents are a bit skittish. But they do have interesting color and ability to camouflage at will.

speced

Members
does anyone have any fry or juvies that they are looking to rehome? I am trying to start a shell dweller tank for my desk at work.

illpoet

Members
would a 29high be not enough for some shellie? i'd like to set one up but not sure i can find a 20long, maybe a 33long though

YSS

Members
My daugther's gold occies have spawned and we have a ton of fry. They will be ready in about 4 weeks to go to a new home.