• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Additional fish to a 55 gallon

TeamPisces

CCA Members
I have 4 Aulonocara Stuartgranti "Flametail" that are in qt. I plan to add to main display in a couple of weeks. I would like to add a trio of yellow labs and a trio of rusties. Will this proposed stocking list be too much for a 55 gallon. I have 2 AC 110's running.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zackcrack00

Members
I remember in my 75 gallon with two AC110s and a 80g sponge, I had a trio of adult Bristlenose Plecos, a colony of 20 demasoni, 6 Metriaclima Msobo, and 6 Metriaclima Mbenjii. That was to keep aggression down, I'd add more peacocks or something like that to thin aggression and just because you can. Or more mbuna. It's your tank, not mine.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

olzkool

Members
I completely and wholeheartedly disagree with^^^

+1
Whoever has seen my show tanks upstairs knows I am a believer in stuffing a tank. The only downfall is more frequent water changes and filter cleanings. If you can deal with the maint it's well worth it in my opinion. Having said that, I have yet to be able to communicate with my fish to ask them if they feel a little crowded in there. I try every day and I just can't get an answer out of them. They just make funny faces at me.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I completely and wholeheartedly disagree with^^^

Like Chris said if you can keep the water and tank clean and healthy go for it. You are not willing to keep a clean tank then don't do it.

Have you seen documentaries of the lakes, some locations are so populated with fish its crazy so in a way it mimics that.
I can't stress enough the importance of keeping the tank clean.

fish

Banned
Lol guys i didnt know. I do not keep africans. You could have wxplained it nicely.

So does this overstocking rule apply to any fish as long as you keep the tank clean?

Like could somebody keep
30 tinfoil barbs in a 120 if the water is kept clean?

dogofwar

CCA Members
No, of course not.

Overstocking is a way to distribute and manage aggression among Malawi mouthbrooders.

Trying to keep a couple of handful of mbuna or peacocks in a tank will likely result in the weakest fish getting picked apart...until there are only 1-2 fish hyper-dominant fish remaining.

Matt

Lol guys i didnt know. I do not keep africans. You could have wxplained it nicely.

So does this overstocking rule apply to any fish as long as you keep the tank clean?

Like could somebody keep
30 tinfoil barbs in a 120 if the water is kept clean?

fish

Banned
No, of course not.

Overstocking is a way to distribute and manage aggression among Malawi mouthbrooders.

Trying to keep a couple of handful of mbuna or peacocks in a tank will likely result in the weakest fish getting picked apart...until there are only 1-2 fish hyper-dominant fish remaining.

Matt

Gotcha