• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Big Tank in Apartment

AquaStudent

Members
I just took a trip over to one of the sister buildings to do laundry and scoped out the basement. As I expected the central wall is load baring and supported by a large metal beam and a few metal columns (as well as a bunch of 2x4s.

I also pulled up the carpet in two of the corners and looked at the subflooring. The joists run perpendicular to the load baring wall (which is expected, they wouldn't be doing much good otherwise). This also means I have the location locked down.

Greengirl

Members
I have 5 tanks in my 17th floor condo. I have a 55, a 45, a 36, a 15, and a 10 gallon. Their combined weight dispersed across my condo is roughly 1,288lb. And that is only calculating the weight of the water. I have had these tanks for over a year in my place. No issues.

YSS

Members
I wouldn't be worried about weight but I got busted with tanks in my condo and had to get rid of everything within 30 days. The rule was no pets but then they told me if you feed it it's a pet. It really sucked.

So then, what if you had a planted tank with no fish? You could have gone that route.....

I have my 265G tank on the main level with basement below. No worries. I still don't like when kids run around. I had 125G where my 265G is. We had a huge party at my house and people decided to take a group picture in front of the tank. I had over 20 adults standing in front of the tank and I was like oh crap there goes my floor, but all is well. :)

AquaStudent

Members
YSS, that's an epic story! I bet your floor enjoyed that load.

Alexandra, no problems yet is very different from no problems :)
I think my 55 is sitting on only one just and it's doing well so spreading a six footer over quite a few should be dandy.

AquaStudent

Members
so... how well do you think my floor/apartment complex would handle a 180g?

I can't imagine this is still available but I sent an inquiry. If it's available I'll pick it up tomorrow and rehome the fish the best I can (a LFS said they'll take fish). It'll probably need a good scrubbing but that's something I can do in a couple of weeks (after finals).

Think my floor can handle over 2000 pounds?

http://albany.craigslist.org/for/4449998136.html

Yes, most appt. Complexes are over engineered or built to hold more than a single family home. I'm guessing the joists are a minimum of 2×10 but more likely 2×12 depending on there length they may even by 12" on center instead of 16". Just to be safe I'd try not to place it to far away from the load bearing walls and try to make sure its got as many joists under it as possible. Older metal stands with actual feet may not be a good idea. Distribute the weight as evenly as possible

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Yes, most appt. Complexes are over engineered or built to hold more than a single family home. I'm guessing the joists are a minimum of 2×10 but more likely 2×12 depending on there length they may even by 12" on center instead of 16". Just to be safe I'd try not to place it to far away from the load bearing walls and try to make sure its got as many joists under it as possible. Older metal stands with actual feet may not be a good idea. Distribute the weight as evenly as possible

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Technically a stud finder might help find the joist...but all depends on the age and style of building etc.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

AquaStudent

Members
I was looking into getting a stud finder but it's usually only the expensive ones that have the deep scan ability and even that is hit or miss.

I'm pretty confident in which way the joists are running (If I had a stud finder I'd be able to get maybe one extra joist under the tank.

No matter what I get I'm going to make sure the stand is more than just legs. Something with a larger foot will help distribute the weight better.

AquaStudent

Members
Just to update everyone, I got the tank (and a traffic ticket...)

Here's the 135g. It used to be a saltwater setup back when the owner was down in Alabama. He move here and doesn't have the room to set it up (he's working on a nanocube instead).

The tank is in good condition. I'm working on cleaning off the dried up algae and salt build-up using a razor. Once my roommate moves out and my new roommate moves in I'll be able to spread out a bit and strip down the silicone. The old silicone is in good condition but I'd rather scrap it and start fresh while I've got everything empty.

I haven't decided if I want to restain/paint the stand and canopy. I love the natural wood color and the finish is in used but good condition.

Thanks for the confidence guys. I'll start up a blog to document the progress.

P.S. About that traffic ticket. On the way back from picking up the tank a friend of mine from a club out in Massachusetts called me. I answered the phone and told him I couldn't talk because I'm driving and I'll call him back. Well the State Trooper flying up the outside lane didn't think that was good enough and pulled me over. It's a 5 point violation here in New York. Hopefully I can talk the DA into just a fine and no points. Sucks to lose a clean record to something like that.

Ballen0351

Members
I dont know if NY is like MD but if your record is clean you could ask for probation before judgement. You get a fine but it never goes on your record and you dont get points.