• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Breeding plecos

CichlidDan

Members
I was thinking about breeding starlight plecos or blue phantom plecos, my question is would a 20 gallon either high or long work or would I need something bigger?

Forester

Members
I have my group of 5 blue phantoms in a 75g (was 6 but one of the males was beat up so i took him out). They use every inch of it. I would be hesitant to put them into anything smaller than a 40 breeder. A pair of starlights would be fine in a 20g long.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
NO.

Starlight (L183) are territorial from a very young age. I've had them kill each other in a 20-long at a small size.

Blue Phantoms are also territorial, much more-so than any ancistrus species. They get to be 8" long and need well-oxygenated, clean water. You should look up breeding information on them - getting them to spawn at all is not easy.

Forester

Members
NO.

Starlight (L183) are territorial from a very young age. I've had them kill each other in a 20-long at a small size.

Blue Phantoms are also territorial, much more-so than any ancistrus species. They get to be 8" long and need well-oxygenated, clean water. You should look up breeding information on them - getting them to spawn at all is not easy.

It depends which type of starlights. I have L182s which are still young but doing fine in a 10g. They will later get their own 20g long, but they seem to be very passive.

Forester

Members
It depends which type of starlights. I have L182s which are still young but doing fine in a 10g. They will later get their own 20g long, but they seem to be very passive.

If I only keep a pair then they will get a 20 if I keep the 6 of them then they will get a 40.

It also somewhat depends on the fish. I've had many smaller males kill larger ones, and then larger males that won't let any other male live. However if you ever have more then one male in anything smaller the a 40 be prepared to separate

Leffler817

CCA Members
I have an old issue of Amazonas that had a breeding report of the Green Phantom plecos. I don't remember if they were the baryancistrus or the hypancistrus but I do remember the tank was a 40br with lots of stacked slate rock work. I'm purely guessing that green phantoms would spawn comparably to blue phantoms. As Matt suggested, planet catfish.com is the place to check out.

Forester

Members
I have an old issue of Amazonas that had a breeding report of the Green Phantom plecos. I don't remember if they were the baryancistrus or the hypancistrus but I do remember the tank was a 40br with lots of stacked slate rock work. I'm purely guessing that green phantoms would spawn comparably to blue phantoms. As Matt suggested, planet catfish.com is the place to check out.

They are both Hemiancistrus. There is a breeding report on PC for blue phantoms in which there was mostly driftwood, some slate, and current across the male's cave.