• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Wanted: smooth river rocks

Aqua410

Members
I need some smooth decorative river rocks for my new set up. I'm hoping to find some with some nice natural but somewhat colorful look to them. Only a few needed.

Thanks!
John

jonclark96

Past CCA President
If you don't get some from Dhaval, I've found that Irwin Stone (or another stone supplier) is the way to go. Irwin sells river rock for landscaping contractors to use in a commercial setting. They sell it be the ton, not the pound. Last time I bought stuff, I got 2 5 gallon buckets full of rocks for under $5.

FishEggs

I have a creek behind my house where you can find lots of them. What size were you looking for?

Aqua410

Members
I have a creek behind my house where you can find lots of them. What size were you looking for?

Like palm size. I think I'm gonna head to this place called the stone store in Severn in the next day or so. I found a picture of their "stone bar" and it looks amazing for hard scaping.

shamu57

Members
Stone Store

I was going to recommend this place -- They do sell individual pieces very cheaply ($0.20/lb?). One time they did not even charge me for 3-4 softball sized rocks

lkelly

Members
Like palm size. I think I'm gonna head to this place called the stone store in Severn in the next day or so. I found a picture of their "stone bar" and it looks amazing for hard scaping.

I saw a group of guys in tie-dye shirts leaving there with a disappointed look on their faces. I guess the Yelp reviews aren't going to be all positive.

dhavalsp

Members
Hi John, sorry I did not get a chance to post pics. the stones I have are smaller though, I would put them at 1/3 the size that you are looking for.

Aqua410

Members
I scored some softball and baseball sized stones at the stone store in Severn. The ones they have on display aren't actually for sale but they gave me a half dozen or so for free. Nice people over here if you need landscaping supplies check them out.

How do I know is these are safe for the aquarium. I don't want hem to leach anything nasty into the tank.

Jt731

Members
Put them in a mixture of water and vinegar and if you get bubbling there is something in the rock you don't want to use