• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New to CCA

Hello All,

How is everyone... I'm kinda new to the hobby. I started my 60gal in May and now this hobby has taken over my life.. ha ha ha Here is my tank and some pics. When I went to my LFS they just wanted to make a sale and not advise how big some of my fish get.
I'm planning to update with in 6-8 month. I'm getting a 150 gal 8' tank. But for now, the 4' will have to do. How long do you thin I have until I REALLY need to upgrade?
I guess I thought people who work at fish stores would have good info for people just getting into the hobby. I was WRONG!!
Please let me know your thought as they are very much appreciated!!
Thank you!!!
David!

Filtration - Whisper 60 & Aqua 70
Fish Stock - All are about from 1.5"-2.5"
Metriaclima Greshakei – Ice Blue Zebra 1 M
Pseudotropheus socolofi Albino- Snow White 1 M
Metriaclima lombardoi – Kenyi 1 unsexed
Labinochromis Caeruleus – Yellow Lab 1 unsexed
Lithobates - yellow blaze 1 M
Chilotilapia Rhoadesii 1 M
Aulonocara - German Red 1 M
Taiwan Reef 2 unsexed
Hybrid -x 2 sex unknown
Aulonocara Maulana - Bi-Color 500 1 M
Copadichromis - Ivory Head Mloto 1 M
Copadichromis Red Fin Borelyi 1 M
Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi - Otter Point 1 M
Aristochromis Christyi 1 M
Bucco Nototaenia 1 M

My Fish Tank.jpg

Davids Chilotilapia Rhoadesii - Male 1.jpg

Davids Lithobates - yellow blaze.jpg

photo (3).jpg

Aulonocara baensch - Sunshine Peacock.jpg

So does this mean you are from the Chula Vista area, south of San Diego?

I grew up in Linda Vista (before it became the ghetto), so I think I know where you are from.

Welcome to the forum.

Arlene

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Welcome to the forum, David.

You have some very nice fish there. I'm a mostly Malawi keeper as well.

How long you have all depends on the dimensions of your 60 gallon tank. Is the footprint 3' long x 18" or 4' long x 12". If it's either of those footprints, I'd upgrade to a 4'x18" tank pretty soon (next couple of months).

A couple of those fish - namely the Bucco and the Aristochromis get big pretty quickly and will be pretty rough in that size tank.

Cheers.

Welcome to the forum, David.

You have some very nice fish there. I'm a mostly Malawi keeper as well.

How long you have all depends on the dimensions of your 60 gallon tank. Is the footprint 3' long x 18" or 4' long x 12". If it's either of those footprints, I'd upgrade to a 4'x18" tank pretty soon (next couple of months).

A couple of those fish - namely the Bucco and the Aristochromis get big pretty quickly and will be pretty rough in that size tank.

Cheers.

Hello Tony,
I have a 4'x12" right now. I'm going to upgrade within 6-8 months to a 150 gal 8'. If that is too long, maybe I should take some rock out in order to have more swimming room. Until I upgrade. What do you think?

Tony

Hello Tony,
I have a 4'x12" right now. I'm going to upgrade within 6-8 months to a 150 gal 8'. If that is too long, maybe I should take some rock out in order to have more swimming room. Until I upgrade. What do you think?

Not at all trying to be a Debby-downer, but...

If given clean water, the space and are fed daily, a 3" long Buccochromis nototaenia will be an angry 8" fish in 8 months. Same with the Aristochromis. I've raised both species from juveniles to adults and these guys aren't really suitable for a 55/60 gallon tank.

I have kept large haps in tanks too small before (4'x18" 110 gallon) and they end up stunted.

The rock may be essential for hiding spaces and sight breaks for when the fish get larger.

I've never seen an 8' 150 gallon tank before. If it's a 24" deep tank, 150 gallons is only like 13" high. Smallest 8 footer I've heard of is a 200 gallon. Most are either 240 or 300. I'd suggest that if you're making the investment in an 8 footer, fgo with something 24" deep (front-to-back). This will offer you the most flexibility down the road.

Again, not trying to be a downer, but you may want to try to find a cheap used 75 or 90 in the meantime. I've tried setting up time frames for big tank upgrades before and they generally extend past the original deadline.

Good luck and again, welcome to the forum. :happy0180:

Not at all trying to be a Debby-downer, but...

If given clean water, the space and are fed daily, a 3" long Buccochromis nototaenia will be an angry 8" fish in 8 months. Same with the Aristochromis. I've raised both species from juveniles to adults and these guys aren't really suitable for a 55/60 gallon tank.

I have kept large haps in tanks too small before (4'x18" 110 gallon) and they end up stunted.

The rock may be essential for hiding spaces and sight breaks for when the fish get larger.

I've never seen an 8' 150 gallon tank before. If it's a 24" deep tank, 150 gallons is only like 13" high. Smallest 8 footer I've heard of is a 200 gallon. Most are either 240 or 300. I'd suggest that if you're making the investment in an 8 footer, fgo with something 24" deep (front-to-back). This will offer you the most flexibility down the road.

Again, not trying to be a downer, but you may want to try to find a cheap used 75 or 90 in the meantime. I've tried setting up time frames for big tank upgrades before and they generally extend past the original deadline.

Good luck and again, welcome to the forum. :happy0180:

Hey Tony, no worries. I prefer you tell me what need to be done... This way the fish would be happy.
I just got the dims of the new tank. It's 72x20x24 150 gal. not 8'. Should that be sufficient for the fish I have? I'm hoping to get this tank ready within a few month... Not 6-8... Would I then be able to add more fish? Or is the stock I have is the max?

This is the reason why it's so important to do your research and get great info from people like you.

I'll post my other questions in the right forum for upgrading to a new tank like gravel or why type of sand would be best.

Thank you again Tony!!

Tony

A 6' 150 is a great tank size. I actually had mine setup as all-males last year. Had many of the species you mention in there and they did fine.

Once you get it set up, you can certainly add a bunch of fish to that tank (so long as you keep up with water changes and filtration).

Cheers.

A 6' 150 is a great tank size. I actually had mine setup as all-males last year. Had many of the species you mention in there and they did fine.

Once you get it set up, you can certainly add a bunch of fish to that tank (so long as you keep up with water changes and filtration).

Cheers.

Thanks again Tony!!
Last question... What is the max number a fish in the 6' 150?

Tony

Thanks again Tony!!
Last question... What is the max number a fish in the 6' 150?

Tough to say. Easy answer is a heck of a lot when they're small and less when their full-grown. If you keep up with water changes (we're talking 50%-75% weekly), you could keep 15-20 adult males of the flavors that you've listed.

Tough to say. Easy answer is a heck of a lot when they're small and less when their full-grown. If you keep up with water changes (we're talking 50%-75% weekly), you could keep 15-20 adult males of the flavors that you've listed.

Awesome!!!

Thanks again Tony!

turfboss

Members
David - Welcome to the forum - just keep asking those questions and you will find the experts (and there are a lot of them here) will provide the information you are looking for.