• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Is a 12" tall tank good for rays?

I would like to one day have some rays. Is a 12" tall tank good for rays like hystrix. The tank i was thinking for them would be a 72x47x12. It would have 3 females and 1 male. With least 2 40's for quarantine or temporary grow out takes. The wet/dry would have a 12" tower for prefilter and bio. Maybe a refugium but don't know. Any help would be appreciated and thank you for your time.

I failed horribly at my attempt to keep rays but I have seen several successful setups with only about 12" of water.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
It would probably work. Rays are bottom dwellers that rarely surface so if your going to keep anything in a tank that short it should be rays.

rich_one

Members
I failed horribly at my attempt to keep rays but I have seen several successful setups with only about 12" of water.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I would be interested (perhaps in a separate thread or via pm, as to not hijack this thread) in knowing what went wrong for you. I am getting my first ray next month, a male hystrix, and am eager to know as much as possible... regarding both good and bad experiences... in order to be as prepared as possible for my new venture. Thanks.

-Rich

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
If you go with 12" in height, make sure the tank has a lip preventing a hungry or excited ray from falling out.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Just be mindful of water quality.... shorter tank = less volume = (potential for) dirtier water.

Rays are pretty dirty and need super clean water, right?