• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB good strain of salvini

spazmattik

Members
I think I may have had a big male from that location. They are a darker varient right? I'm looking for the bright yellow/ red ones now and was checking to seenif any club members were breeding them
I lost all the istlanums finally from the group buy so that's 6 total now I've lost.. Cant have a real umbee yet so I'm thinking salvinis may be the way to go right now. I am going to shy away from ordering since I can find them locally.

blkmjk

Members
I would not do a salvini pair. They aren't personable they just hide. And I have bred them before they just get nasty. What size tank are you planning on sticking this potential new fish in?

Drew

Matt,

I have a pair that has managed to defend about 50 fry right now (their first spawn) against Paratheraps Synspillums and a bunch of others. My pair is out and about most of the time so I would disagree with the comment on them not being personable. They basically own wherever they want in the 150 right now. I have the bright yellows that you were talking about. If you are interested, I could probably pull some fry for you.

spazmattik

Members
Its a 55. The male I had before wasn't to bad. When he was smaller he would hide but was out quite a bit when he grew out. Rob, I forgot you had some breed. How big are they?

They are about a half inch right now, still pretty small. I am honestly surprised there are any left at this point but they have been pretty amazing parents so far. Just let me know if you want to stop by and give them a look at least.

spazmattik

Members
I could probably swing by on the weekend if your available, ill text you.

@drew - I was considering a cuban but I am reading mixed reports about the max size. So I am guessing a female would be pushing it... I also took a look at 5 spot jewels but I don't know much about them yet. Istlanum would be awesome if I could find one and try again.. first failure was I didn't know they bloated easily. Lost the 3" from rapps.. 2nd failure was 5 - 1" from coa. One jumped out, others also bloated because the biggest would snatch all the food and bloat, then the next, ect..

dogofwar

CCA Members
I wouldn't do Cubans, istlanum or H. fasciatus in a 55g, at least long term or without divider(s).

Each is mean as heck, especially to con-specifics. I've always wanted to try the 5 spots just never had the guts. I've heard they're that mean.

Salvini are pretty wicked as well...

Matt

@drew - I was considering a cuban but I am reading mixed reports about the max size. So I am guessing a female would be pushing it... I also took a look at 5 spot jewels but I don't know much about them yet. Istlanum would be awesome if I could find one and try again.. first failure was I didn't know they bloated easily. Lost the 3" from rapps.. 2nd failure was 5 - 1" from coa. One jumped out, others also bloated because the biggest would snatch all the food and bloat, then the next, ect..

blkmjk

Members
Matt,

I have a pair that has managed to defend about 50 fry right now (their first spawn) against Paratheraps Synspillums and a bunch of others. My pair is out and about most of the time so I would disagree with the comment on them not being personable. They basically own wherever they want in the 150 right now. I have the bright yellows that you were talking about. If you are interested, I could probably pull some fry for you.

Let me clarify when I say not personable.... when they spawn they defend the fry well. They charge the glass. Beg for food. But they are lurkers by nature. In my experience all be it limited with this hobby is that these don't make the best wet pets. They are stunning no doubt. But if you haven't owned a 8" salvini male. I can't properly describe to you the mayhem it can cause. They are psycho. But to each their own. I like psychotic fish but these guys are redonkulous and potent.

Please share pictures of your pair I think they are some of the best looking cichlids by far.

Matt

I would recommend Barotoni they look like beani same attitude not quite as big and not quite as acceptable to bloat. And could comfortably fit 55. Not that I wouldn't try the salvini I would give them a go for sure can't beat club pricing and no shipping!

Just my 2 cents.

Drew

dogofwar

CCA Members
Having just kept bartoni again (past tense)...they're pretty vicious on each other. Started with 8...and I think I have one (maybe)...

Matt

Let me clarify when I say not personable.... when they spawn they defend the fry well. They charge the glass. Beg for food. But they are lurkers by nature. In my experience all be it limited with this hobby is that these don't make the best wet pets. They are stunning no doubt. But if you haven't owned a 8" salvini male. I can't properly describe to you the mayhem it can cause. They are psycho. But to each their own. I like psychotic fish but these guys are redonkulous and potent.

Please share pictures of your pair I think they are some of the best looking cichlids by far.

Matt

I would recommend Barotoni they look like beani same attitude not quite as big and not quite as acceptable to bloat. And could comfortably fit 55. Not that I wouldn't try the salvini I would give them a go for sure can't beat club pricing and no shipping!

Just my 2 cents.

Drew

blkmjk

Members
Having just kept bartoni again (past tense)...they're pretty vicious on each other. Started with 8...and I think I have one (maybe)...

Matt

Ouch! Ok maybe not Bartoni. What size digs do you have them in? Just curious that specie is on my personal hit list.

Drew

dogofwar

CCA Members
I had them in a 2'x2'x1', which may be part of the problem. I've also kept them in a 4' tank with similar issues.

In all honesty, they're not worth the effort / tank space as fish that are pretty much brown and homicidal 99% of the time ;)

Cryptoheros chetamulenisis, on the other hand - Wow! I have a pair guarding babies in a 30" tank and they're an amazing peach color...

Matt

Ouch! Ok maybe not Bartoni. What size digs do you have them in? Just curious that specie is on my personal hit list.

Drew

blkmjk

Members
I was considering trying them, Beani , or Black Nasties in a 75 gallon myself. I have a line on some F2 nasties from Ken Davis. Might just sick with them.

Drew

ErnieG

Members
I would not do a salvini pair. They aren't personable they just hide. And I have bred them before they just get nasty. What size tank are you planning on sticking this potential new fish in?

Drew

Wow, I never had a shy pair of salvini. Your pair had to be really shy.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've not kept salvinis in a long while, but my experiences were similar to Drew's. Very aggressive and pretty reclusive. Beautiful fish none the less, but I didn't have much luck with them being very personable. A 55 and aggressive fish isn't really the best combo, in my opinion. About the only "aggressive" fish I would recommend for a tank that size would be convicts or neets.