• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Albino Oscar (BLIND) needs a good home

Hi im new to this site, but I came here hoping I could find a great home for my oscar. Im moving and will not have room for my big tank at the new place :(

Ok so he ( or she, I dont know which but I call him a boy lol) is an albino oscar and absolutely beautiful! BUT he is blind and has been since I got him when he was a baby. I dont know if it was genetic or if something happened before I got him, but he is definitely blind. He is extremely smart and has adapted well. He will hand feed if you practice with him ( tap the tank to get him to come up then touch the food to his mouth and he will bite at it until he gets it) but he does not have to always feed that way. He has figured out howto search for food in the sand. If you get the sinking cichlid pellets (I use hikari bio gold) he will go along the bottom and sift through the sand to find the food.

With how he eats, his new home MUST have sand as the substrate or a bare bottom, otherwise he will either try to eat the gravel or will not be able to tell the difference between gravel and food. His new home also needs to have minimal decorations because even though he will learn to navigate the new tank after a little bit of time, he figures it out by running face first into everything so less is definitely better!

His tank should be at least 55g if he is alone or bigger if he will have friends. If he will have friends, they need to be NON aggressive fish. I know that sounds wrong for an oscar, but being blind means he can be easily bullied. He is pretty docile, especially for an oscar, but I imagine if a small fish swam up against his mouth he might take a bite! He currently lives with a blue ram and a dinosaur bichir, they pretty much stay away from each other, but there has never been a problem.

I know that this sounds like a lot of requirements, but he is so worth it. He is a beautiful fish. I am not asking for money, only that I can bring him to you and see the tank that he is going into. He is a part of the family just like any pet and I just want to make sure he is going to a great home. I live in Roanoke, VA so I would like it to be somewhat close to me, but for the right home I will drive farther. If there is anyone that would like to adopt him please let me know a little bit about the home he would be going to, thank you!

Congrats on being a good owner I'd take him but I'm several hours away. I hate when people think fish are disposable

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

AquaStudent

Members
Thank you for being responsible. This fish seems to have a ton of personality. I hope you can find a great home for him.

How far away are you moving? It's possible to move tanks (although it can be a bit of a pain).

I had a blind pike cichlid he was so cool watching him adapt was amazing he even learned to eat feeder fish

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Thank you, I dont think any living being is disposable and if I take on the responsibility for a pet then I have to make sure they are cared for properly. I could definitely move the tank with me, but Im moving to a smaller place and there is nowhere to put it :(

zackcrack00

Members

Thank you, I dont think any living being is disposable and if I take on the responsibility for a pet then I have to make sure they are cared for properly. I could definitely move the tank with me, but Im moving to a smaller place and there is nowhere to put it :(

When I get in trouble or something, my mom threatens to flush some of my fish down the toilet. I've tried to explain to her that we could just give them to someone but she is SO stubborn.