• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Guess Who Has a Mouthful Part II

dogofwar

CCA Members
... I have a big group of these guys that I got from Jeff Michel in a 2'x2'x1' tank... Like the Pungu they're from Lake Barombi Mbo in Cameroon...

Males are soot black when excited and both sexes alternate between olive green, silver and black depending on mood.

Found at least one female with a mouthful...

Here are some pics.

Anyone know what they are?

Matt

PS Here's an article on Lake Barombi Mbo: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/Barombi-Mbo.php

PSS Accidentally included a picture of a female Pelmatochromis with a clutch...

DCP_4580.jpg

DCP_4581.jpg

DCP_4482.jpg

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Myaka myaka :)

Great article. Amazing how the volcanic activity releasing toxic gas into the water doesn't kill the fish....

Sad how development and overfishing by people in the area does.

dogofwar

CCA Members
They're actually saratherodon linelli ... Although I also have myaka :)

the males are jet black and females are black / metallic green.

I just stripped a female about a week ago - since her mouth was really full and it had been about 3 weeks I figured there would be a bunch of babies

turns out that there were about a dozen huge babies...miniatures of the parents

I'll have them for sale soon if anyone is interested in working with these interesting Cares species...

Matt

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Matt,

After I get the 150 and 75 set up, I'm going to be performing a mass fish tank-shuffle. Hopefully, I'll have an extra 40 breeder available. If I can swing it, I'd like to dedicate it to one or more CARES species. Can the saratherodon linelli be housed with anything else in a 40?

Spine

Members
I am trying to do the same thing Tony, I hope to pick up some more CARES species at the ACA.

I hope to pick up some COORS at the 7-11 lol. Just kidding, way to go Matt. I've wanted that fish ever since I saw pictures of them. I'll be bidding if you put them in the auction.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I keep my colony of them (10 fish I think) in a 2'x2'x1' with my hap ruby green breeders.

The linelli have really started to kick it into gear with breeding although (like pindu and some of the other barombi mbo) seem to spit/swallow at the slightest provocation. This is the first girl I've had hold to term...

They fight a bit with each other (face to face mouth offs mostly) but don't pick on other fish. You could keep them with copadochromis (my
pungu are with virginalis golds) or other mellowed ones. Definitely no mbuna or predators.

I've got enough babies for two groups. Kevins got one. Who wants the other?

Matt