• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Geo Altifrons Paired Off

zcfish

Members
Two out of the five Geo Altifrons have paired off recently. They kind of protecting a piece of flat rock under the driftwood and chase other fish away. They're at most 5". Does pairing mean breeding is near? They are quite young.

rsretep

Members
I have never kept altifrons but I know Steindachneri bred for me at less than a year of age and they were only four inches, sounds to me like thy are pairing off but not all fish "get it right " the first time, sometimes they need to practice IMO

verbal

CCA Members
I had a pair of Pearlscale eather-eaters breed when the female wasn't much bigger than 2 inches.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Pretty cool, Joe. Hope they spawn.

Got any pictures of them or the setup?

Altifrons will spawn at 5". Mine spawned at 4".

They will clean off a rock or driftwood and spawn on it. After about 24-48 hours they will chew the fry out of the eggs and mouthbrood. They are biparental and will pass the fry back and forth between them. But generally the female is the first to brood.

Sounds to me like they are getting ready to spawn. But like Peter said, they will often take a few attempts to get it right and may not fertilize, eat the eggs, or eat the fry until they learn to get it right.

Andy

zcfish

Members
I will take some pictures. I will be very stoked if they do spawn. I have been watching the brooding video on YouTube. They let the fry out then when there is danger they take the fry back into the mouth.

I have a big problem though. I have a deformed calvus that I didn't cull when it was small. I put in the SA tank since I have no where else to put it. Now it has been stealing eggs from the angelfish. It will not be possible to remove from the heavily aquascaped 325g tank!

Sent from my ADR6350 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Tony

Super cool! Didn't think they spawned at that size. Congrats!

Cool. If you want to raise the fry you will need to get them out of the tank very carefully. Tetras and Calvus are fry eaters and will gobble them up quickly.

Altifrons types tend to spit when harassed with a net very easily. You will need to be stealthy and quick to get them out safely.

Andy

zcfish

Members
It will be quite hard to remove any fish from this tank. So we'll have to see what happens. I might be able to remove the calvus since he has develop swimming bladder problem and sit on the sand most of the time.

The geos are quite large now. They are about 6" now excluding the trailers.

Sent from my ADR6350 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

neut

Members
Really nice tank and nice looking altifrons.

But, yeah, calvus are known for their egg stealing skill. What type of discus in the tank?

Tony

What kind of video camera did you use on that movie btw?

Really nice clear video... of a beautiful tank. :)

YSS

Members
Hey man,

Your tank, from what can be seen in the video, looks like an awesome set up. We have very similar set ups except yours is bigger and better. :) I have 4 altifrons (my son told me the other day he saw baby eartheaters but I haven't), wild and domestic discus, wild angels, and a few others. Yea, that calvus looks completely out of place. :) You need to post a full tank shot. Love to see the entire set up. By the way, where are you located?