• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Canister filter intake/output location

frankoq

Members
Planning on having 2 FX5s in a 180g.
Any suggestions on where to put the intakes and outputs?

I thought of the intakes on either side and the outputs in the middle.

Thoughts?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Center intakes/outflows at ends
Outflows center/intakes at ends
Both intakes at one end/both outflows on the other

I think that any of these configs would be fine, but I think that one of the first two would be easier on your hoses.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Frank:

Here's a thread I posted years ago with the exact same question:

http://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6075&highlight=filter+output

I ended up putting both inputs to my dual FX5's on one end of the tank and the outputs on the opposite side. I have 2 power heads in the tank that are aimed from the output side to the input side. Overall, I'm pleased with the results, but I've never been able to completely get all the mulm in the tank to move around.

Siklid

Members
Frank,

My two cents - in my 150, I have a FX5 and a 305 running. Intake at opposite ends. Output for the FX5 at one end and the output for the 305 in the center, pointed at the end with no output. Circulation pump at the end with the FX5 output. Small circulation pump over the FX5 intake.

This creates a dead spot under the FX5 output - I placed a homemade filter (powerhead, water bottle and pillow filling) over the dead spot. The HMF picks up all the mulm - almost has to be changed daily. The water is always polished.

The tank is almost overstocked - 3 monster sized Oscars, 5 large Jack Dempseys, 2 Green Terrors, 5 large Silver Dollars, 1 small FlowerHorn, 1 large Pleco and 3 small Convicts. The Oscars are messy, messy, messy.....

Just the way I configured it.

Last edited:
I push close to 3500 gal from one end to the inputs on the opposite end. You can watch the debry loop around straight down to the intakes. I also aim all that water up makimg the surface appear as a rushing river. It looks very cool I should post a vid.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

frankoq

Members
I push close to 3500 gal from one end to the inputs on the opposite end. You can watch the debry loop around straight down to the intakes. I also aim all that water up makimg the surface appear as a rushing river. It looks very cool I should post a vid.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Let's see a video!

Hannibal

Members
I have a FX5 on my 75 gallon. I made a spraybar out of pvc and have a powerhead in the back pushing everything towards the filter intake. It works well. Here is a pic during a water change.

olzkool

Members
That spray bar is awesome.
To the OP I don't think it matters as long as you have water movement toward the intakes. I struggled, I mean struggled with the same thing. I have 2 FX5's on a 6' tank and tried every way you could imagine and always had dead spots collecting poo between my rocks and such. I ended up putting the discharges at each end and the intakes in the middle spaces apart evenly. I used the little nozzles to direct flow. 1 toward the corner and the other back toward the intakes. Then I put 1 850 Koralia on each end toward the top blowing down and toward the center through all my rockwork(its a lot of rocks) to keep them clean. Then I wasn't happy with the fact I had zero top water agitation so I put another Powerhead dead center and high on the back to blow up the surface. The fish seem to love it they swim into the current and let it blow them around like they are playing in it.

frankoq

Members
Thanks Chris. How low are your intakes?
And how high are the powerheads? are they pointing to the substrate?
I guess I'll also have to play to find a good set up.

Hannibal

Members
The bottom of the intake strainer is just above the sand on the left. The powerhead is (or was, it gave out on me) on the right hand side about half way up and is pointed down towards the sand in such a way that it doesn't blow the sand all over but just skims the top and pushes the debris towards the intake. It took a few adjustments to get it set up how I wanted it.