• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hello from Charles Town WV

Cichlid Lips

Members
Hello CCA

Originally from Washington DC, I transplanted to CA in 86 and became a member of the PCCA out there. Got my 20 year pin and came back to the east coast about eight years ago and built my dream home with my wife and daughter in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.

Decided after 35 years or so keeping Cichlids I would try my hand at Saltwater, so I built a 450 gallon reef system. Had a lot of success with that and had it set up for about six years until I went on a business trip for three days and came home to a tank that had not been running in 2 days. Needless to say, the tank crashed in a bad way and I had lost about 50% of the corals and a couple of fish. Over the next 6 months I would end up loosing just about everything, although I was able to salvage lots of coral frags and was able to get those to many of the members in my saltwater group. That was just over a year ago now.

I've known for a while I was going to go back to my true love and convert everything over to an African tank, so about 10 days ago I tore everything apart and eliminated one of the 100 gallon tanks I used for frags, and a 100 gallon homemade sump and am going back with a little smaller system for this new setup.

My main display is an in-wall setup that is 220 gallons acrylic tank which is 5 feet wide 3 feet deep, and I wanna say 27" tall maybe, I forget that measurement exactly, and I just finished a custom acrylic sump for this build. Behind the wall I have a fish room that is 16'X6' which is a little narrow, but gives me plenty of room to get around. At the tear down this room was all bare studs and since I know I will never do salt again, I decided to completely renovate the entire room and rewired everything, and am in the process now of finishing the drywall work, and the project is moving along nicely.

I truly love all of the Cichlid species, but my favs are the Tropheus species. Over the years I have had most of the common ones, and several others that I was able to obtain through the club in one way or another.

This new system will surly have some Tropheus, as well as other types in what I hope is a fairly heavy stocked setup with as little stress as possible. I also love the Synodontis species and plan to have several.

I believe we have a total of one store in the area that has a decent selection, but it's still about 40 miles away in Winchester VA. I will be looking to obtain most of the inhabitants through locals, but I am still maybe a coupe of months from that as I need to finish up the room, and get the tank set back up and cycling so if you can help down the road be sure to hit me up.

While Cichlids have always held my hearts sweet spot, I have also kept the aggressive fish and started keeping fish in 68 when my father brought home a Red Belly Piranha. He was a bit boring so I traded him for a Black Piranah who was just the opposite and was pretty scary as he was about 10". After him, I ended up with my first tank over 100 gallons and went with a school of 12 red belly's. No filter at the time could keep up with the mess that made. I also dabbled with some Snakeheads which were also pretty messy so someone suggested that I go with a fish that was a little less aggressive and recommended Cichlids. Been hooked since.

In any event, hope I can add to the community and share my journey as well as yours.

Tanks for having me,

Mark

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Welcome.
You have found the right place for cichlids. THere are lots of African cichlids in the club. THere are always some in our club meeting auctions. CARES fish too. ANd we make an effort through box exchanges with other clubs to get cichlids that are not being kept by members.

Cichlid Lips

Members
Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Thank you!

Welcome to the forum and hope you can make it to a meeting sometime soon!

Matt
I hope to make the next one, and also joined the club last night as well. Thank you for the welcome as well!

Welcome.
You have found the right place for cichlids. THere are lots of African cichlids in the club. THere are always some in our club meeting auctions. CARES fish too. ANd we make an effort through box exchanges with other clubs to get cichlids that are not being kept by members.
Thank you Frank and I look forward to group and all it has to offer.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Welcome to the CCA!
I hope to see pics of your fish room as it progresses. Many members have fish rooms or are in the process of building them.

Cichlid Lips

Members
Welcome to the CCA!
I hope to see pics of your fish room as it progresses. Many members have fish rooms or are in the process of building them.

I haven't taken a ton of shots of the actual construction process, but I do have several pics from before, and I could certainly shoot more as this thing comes together. Hoping to have water in it by this time next week if I don't have to repair any of the acrylic repairs I did to the actual tank this evening.
:eek:

Can some one lead me to the area where a fish room thread would be appropriate please?
:confused:

Also looking for the meeting info as I want to make the next one if I can.

TIA

Greengirl

Members
Hi There! Africans are pretty but don't leave out the South and central Americans. Those guys are petty too :)

Cichlid Lips

Members
If you ever need to trade media to get some seeded media, there are many people in the club who are willing to do so to get your tank cycled quickly

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

I'll be all over that when the time comes.

Welcome to the forum!
Thank you my friend!

Also, what are the fish in your profile picture? They look like they have lips for kissing.
TBH, I have no idea. It was a fish with what looked like lips, so I used it.
:D

welcome, probably one of the best intro posts I have seen. look forward to pictures!
Thank you much!

looks like Malawi trout (Champsochromis caeruleus).
I can live with that, although I don't think it is.

Still wondering where I should start the build thread folks?

Today was spent using the Novus 3 step process for polishing out the scratches which I had seen a few videos on. Totally over hyped IMO, but after about 6 hrs, I feel like I am about 80% there.

Here is a shot of the Saltwater setup I had running. Seems Photobucket deleted about 98% of all the photo's I had taken that was posted on the CMAS site, so this shot is very young and before everything was hitting the sides.

This same tank was patched, and will be used for my main display.

FTS.jpg

FTS.jpg

Cichlid Lips

Members
Full tank shot as of this evening. Ended up about a 100lbs short of rock but It's a work in progress. Three or so more weeks of cycling to go, then I want all your fish.

fts 7-12-14.jpg

Waiting on some new lighting, and another run to the quarry.

fts 7-12-14.jpg

Cichlid Lips

Members
Full tank shot as of this evening. Ended up about a 100lbs short of rock but It's a work in progress. Three or so more weeks of cycling to go, then I want all your fish.

attachment.php

Waiting on some new lighting, and another run to the quarry.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Lovely tank. Find someone to give you some seasoned filter media and you won't have to wait on the "cycle" any more.