• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hello from Woodbridge Virginia

manbern

Members
Hello All! My name is Jonathan, living in Woodbridge Virginia, near the Lake Ridge area. I'm excited to be part of a local organization that is dedicated to African Cichlids! I just recently retired from the United States Air Force. Keeping fish has always been a hobby/passion of mine since I was a child, but being in the military has made it difficult for me to support my hobby due to numerous deployments, moving to different bases every 2-4 years, and countless field exercises. Now that I can say with some certainty that I'll be staying put for a long time, I am dying to get this hobby of mine started back up again!

I currently have a 110 gallon extra high tank with Mystic White Pool Filter Sand mixed with Carribsea Crushed Coral. My filtration is a Fluval FX6 Canister Filter, Eheim Jager 250W Heater, Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED+ lighting system, Holey rock decorations from Universal Rocks. The tank is still in its cycling process, but I already have my "Fish Shopping List" and can't wait to flood my tank with beautiful African Cichlids!

I haven't even stocked my display tank, and I'm already thinking about starting a breeding colony, lol! Are there any other cichlid breeders out there nearby? If so, hit me up let me know what you're breeding, and maybe I can breed a species that others aren't and we can get some trading going on here!

Anyway, I am really excited to be a part of this forum! Happy Memorial Day!

Reed

Very Fishe
Hey. Jonathan
Welcome to the club. I breed Africans for my hobby. Check out my YouTube channel I have several species available.

Ps You should turn on private messaging

Www.youtube.com. Com/Reedgilbert

JChitty

Members
Welcome Jonathan... Just a few miles down the road from you in Manassas.
I'm currently breeding angels, rams and cories.
Welcome to retirement and the hobby

manbern

Members
Hey All! Still trying to learn my way around this website. I didn't know about all these replies until today! Apparently, I didn't have my notifications turned on!

So, Anubias, THANKS for your greeting! I'm happy to be a part of this community! This Eric you mentioned, is he on this website? If so, what is his screen name/handle? Maybe I can look him up! As far as the Mystic White Pool Filter Sand, I had to purchase online via Amazon. The sand itself was cheap, but the shipping killed it since I ordered 100 lbs. worth. I called just about EVERY pool supply place in the DMV, and no one carried the stuff. There was a place in NJ that sold it, and even delivered FOR FREE, but ONLY if you lived in the local area. Boooo! But even after shipping costs, I still paid less than I would have if I had went "all crushed coral" like I originally intended.

Hey Reed! Thanks for the "welcome"! And I already subscribed to your channel, lol! My username on YouTube is manbern as well. Maybe I'll start posting vids as well, once I get my operation up and running! I look forward to watching your videos. Do you trade, sell fish?

What's up frankoq! Thanks for the reccomendation to this website/forum! I too look forward to becoming a full-fledged member!

Graveldigger and JDChitty, thanks for your greetings as well! I can't tell you guys how excited I am to be restarting this hobby/passion after so long! My tank is still cycling, but good news, I tested for nitrite, and it's registering, so my cycling process is chugging along nicely! I'm doing a fishless cycle method.

Anyway, thanks again for such a warm welcome! I look forward to many discussions, conversations, interactions, transactions, etc!!

manbern

Members
Welcome to the forum. Woodbridge here too

Thanks, nice to meet you F8LBITE! Whereabout in Woodbridge? I live in the Somerset at Westridge area.

So, I've met you and a couple others in the immediate area. Is there a way I can subscribe to your guys' posts so I can keep tabs on what is going on right nearby me?

What kind of setup are you running? And do you also breed, sell, and/or trade fish?

manbern

Members
Thanks jonclark and thezoo! WOW! That's quite an extensive list! I may have to get in touch with some of them, see if I can get some transactions going!! Thanks again!!

manbern

Members
I gotta say, since joining this group, I've already made quite a few friends (even though I haven't met any of them in person yet, lol!), made a transaction and scored a sweet 55gal setup for cheap (thanks bigred!), and am looking forward to trading, buying, and even selling some cichlids once I get my operation up and running! CCA is truly a community that supports each other!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

manbern

Members
I hope I can too! But I'm also planning a wedding as well, so my calendar is quite full at the moment, lol!