• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Rachel I have a question...

Jefft

Members
So I am sick of pleco poop. Sick disgusted fed up you name it. I thought the little video Tremper put up was funny and cool so I am thinking a different avenue to handling my algae. How many of the snail will it take to handle a 40g breeder, 30g cube, 75g, and a 55g and how much will these little fellas cost me?

Hannibal

Members
Nerite snails... 1 per 5 gallons. At least that is what I think i remember from her talk at Aquamania...

msjinkzd

invert junkie
Yup, that is what I recommend as the MOST densely you can stock them. They really graze just about constantly. They generally are about $2 each, you can email or message me about figuring out details and end costs :) It is possible I can cut you a deal if you are getting a big group, or you could get a set amount and move them around as needed to manage your algae. Keep in mind that they are very difficult to supplement so you don't want to overdo it.

Jefft

Members
"Keep in mind that they are very difficult to supplement so you don't want to overdo it."

What do you mean by this statement can you explain and little more in depth? What other options are there for algae control? Nerite snails, what else is out there? 1 snail per 5 gallons as the MOST dense thats cool so with the three plecos I have kept and 20 snails I could probably do just fine?

msjinkzd

invert junkie
"Keep in mind that they are very difficult to supplement so you don't want to overdo it."

What do you mean by this statement can you explain and little more in depth? What other options are there for algae control? Nerite snails, what else is out there? 1 snail per 5 gallons as the MOST dense thats cool so with the three plecos I have kept and 20 snails I could probably do just fine?

I mean that once they eat your algae, they are not the type of critters that will eat algae wafers or most prepared foods. They will take to some gel foods (repashy soilent or super green), but are grazers at heart, so can easily starve if overpopulated. They will graze on visible algae, as well as the biofilm which develops in a mature tank (that slime you feel on teh inside of the glass or surfaces). I say 1 per 5g in a mature tank, 1 per 5-10g in a newer set up (less than a year old) for optimal longevity and health.

Jefft

Members
Yeah ok so 20 and I will be all good and no major 30 inch pleco poops wrapping around everything. So next meeting? 20 snails?

Leffler817

CCA Members
Yeah ok so 20 and I will be all good and no major 30 inch pleco poops wrapping around everything. So next meeting? 20 snails?

Then before the May meeting, Jeff will post "what the hell are all these white spots in my tank!" :D JK

Well, sort of, happy nerites lay white eggs everywhere but they don't hatch in FW tanks and won't overrun you tank either.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app