• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hey Gardeners!

JasonC

Members
Would love to, but short on ideas on what to plant in a small plot that won't take over.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

daninmd

Members
Would love to, but short on ideas on what to plant in a small plot that won't take over.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Im mostly doing root vegetables. radishes and beets would be fine for you I would think

daninmd

Members
I happened to plant a bunch of seeds last week the day before we got all that rain. I guess it was magic rain, because the seeds germinated and were popping thru the ground the day after. didn't think it was possible to have that many plants coming up on the third day.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Just built a little raised bed garden and a red wiggler bin so I can make compost for the bin and have a constant supply of live worms for the rays.
IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Looks great! What's going into the raised bed? Veggies?

Thanks, yah just veggies. So far i have tai basil, sweet basil, purple basil, romaine, oregano, sweet mint, jalapeño, and cilantro. I plan on defenitely adding a few kinds of tamotoes.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
The garden has been doing great and has grown quite a bit
To start off, here are the seedlings I have inside, most are pepper plants but there are a few lettuces and 2 spinach seedlings that I transplanted from outside. So far, the ones I direct sowed are doing much better
seedlings.jpg
Now for the raised beds
raisedbeds5:08:15.jpg
Here's the right bed. Its planted with 1 patio tamato, 3 bell peppers (all 3 colors), 2 cherry tomatoes, 2 jalapeños, and 2 snap pea plants.rightbed5:08:15.jpg

And here's the left. This bed is planted with 1 halapeño, 2 bannana peppers, 1 letuce, a few purple basils, a few regular basils, a huge sweet mint plant, 1 oregano, 2 thai basils, 4 sweet basils, a few cilantro plants, 3 beefsteak tomatoes, a bunch of lettuce seedlings, and a bunch of spinach seedlings. Most of the plants in this bed are pretty small but once they grow, I'll be transplanting some into pots or the other bed.
leftbed5:08:15.jpg

These are the seedlings I direct sowed outside.
Im very excited to be growing spinach and having it do so well.
The spinach seedlings are starting to grow their true leaves
spinachseedlingtrueleaves 5:08:15.jpg

In this pic you can catch a glimpse of the lettuce seedlings in the top right corner.
spinach seedlings.jpg

Afew of the heirlooms have started to flower and grow veggies.Here are the first tomatoes that have grown. These are the patio tomatoes. The cherry tomatoes have allot of flowers and the beefsteaks are just too small atm.
first tomatoes of the season 5:08:15.jpg

The largest halapeño plant has grown a nice little flower. The other two halapeños are younger and only have buds.
jalapeñoflower 5:08:15.jpg

2 of the bell pepper plants are starting to produce little peppers. The 3rd only has flowers.
tinybellpepper2 5:08:15.jpg

tinybellpepper1 5:08:15.jpg

bellpepperflower 5:08:15.jpg

Here's the massive mint I was talking about in the beginning.Im happy I gave it a good amount of room.
mint 5:08:15.jpg

A few of the herbs have already gone to seed.

Thai basil volunteer:
thaibasilvolunteer 5:08:15.jpg

Oregano volunteers:
oreganovolunteer1 5:08:15.jpg

oreganovolunteer2 5:08:15.jpg

jalapeñoflower 5:08:15.jpg

mint 5:08:15.jpg

thaibasilvolunteer 5:08:15.jpg

oreganovolunteer1 5:08:15.jpg

oreganovolunteer2 5:08:15.jpg

spinachseedlingtrueleaves 5:08:15.jpg

first tomatoes of the season 5:08:15.jpg

bellpepperflower 5:08:15.jpg

spinach seedlings.jpg

tinybellpepper2 5:08:15.jpg

tinybellpepper1 5:08:15.jpg

rightbed5:08:15.jpg

leftbed5:08:15.jpg

raisedbeds5:08:15.jpg

seedlings.jpg

chriscoli

Administrator
Anyone ever built a cold frame before? I see lots of DIY plans on the internet but was wondering if anyone had any words to the wise.

We recently replaced the windows in the house and I saved the old windows....wood framed so they should be nice and easy to work with.

JLW

CCA Members
I don't know how many people already have seen this, either on the Batfish Aquatics Facebook Page, or just in person, but... I accumulate styrofoam boxes. Badly. Like, I throw out a dozen, ship out usually another two or three dozen, and still have a pile. I've started finding lots of uses for them. . . . I think some of you have seen me make furniture out of styro boxes. :D Or hold up a fridge.

One of the better uses I've been doing is to take a styro, and punch a few holes in the side, near the bottom. Then, fill it with potting soil (or a layer of gravel and then potting soil when I'm feeling cheap...er than usual). They make really good planters for stuff I don't want in the ground, like my Jasmine, a lot of the less winter-hardy herbs, etc. They take a spray paint fairly well, and if I spray paint them with one of the textured spray paints, they actually don't look bad, though I broke the only one like that and I'm too cheap to buy more paint. :-D

They usually hold up 3-4 years, too.