• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hello from KC

I am David and I am here due to the fact that I am setting up a 55 gal cichlid tank and need a lot of help. So pardon all the dumb questions. I am still in the process of cycling my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ading522

Members
Welcome to the forum! Be forewarned that once you get on with fish keeping and ask CCA.. You're gonna get hooked..lol.. Lots of fun stuff,cool people awesome meetings and a ton of advices!

Where exactly is KC?

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Welcome to the forum! Be forewarned that once you get on with fish keeping and ask CCA.. You're gonna get hooked..lol.. Lots of fun stuff,cool people awesome meetings and a ton of advices!

Where exactly is KC?

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Kansas City, Missouri (236 miles west of St. Louis) :D

verbal

CCA Members
Welcome to the forum.

You might consider blue acaras. They are relatives of the green terrors and a group would do a lot better in a 55 gallon tank. It is true they are not as showy as the green terrors.

Ading522

Members
Kansas City, Missouri (236 miles west of St. Louis) :D

wow! welcome! i really do not think often have members that far aways from us, but if you ever get the chance to be in the DMV area, plan to come on a second Saturday of the month.. we host a mini fish auction after the meeting and there are always awesome stuff to grab! :)

Welcome to the forum.

You might consider blue acaras. They are relatives of the green terrors and a group would do a lot better in a 55 gallon tank. It is true they are not as showy as the green terrors.

Could I do a least one green terror? I looked up blue acaras and they look the same (and idk what they look like either)

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Could I do a least one green terror? I looked up blue acaras and they look the same (and idk what they look like either)

Green terrors and blue acaras will likely have issues together due to how close they resemble each other. The 55 is okay for one green terror, but full grown it will be cramped. The 55 is only one foot front to back. A male green terror can reach that same length.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Welcome to the forum.

Let's start with tank size and stock from there. What size do you have room/funds for? In terms of funds, expect to pay about $1.50-$2.50 per gallon for the whole setup used. This would include the tank (~$1.00 per gallon), stand, filter, heater, lights. Craigslist is a good place to start in terms of looking for deals on used setups. They will be roughly 1/3 to 1/2 the price of what you'd find new at a store.

The size of your tank will dictate what fish you can keep long term.

Welcome to the forum.

Let's start with tank size and stock from there. What size do you have room/funds for? In terms of funds, expect to pay about $1.50-$2.50 per gallon for the whole setup used. This would include the tank (~$1.00 per gallon), stand, filter, heater, lights. Craigslist is a good place to start in terms of looking for deals on used setups. They will be roughly 1/3 to 1/2 the price of what you'd find new at a store.

The size of your tank will dictate what fish you can keep long term.

I already have a 55 gal setup (stand and tank for $50) I just need opinions on what fish to put in it!

If you are serious about the Green Terror, than as Tony pointed out Craigslist would be a great place to look to get a deal on a 75 to 90 gallon tank, which would give you a better depth for a Green Terror to grow out in.

If you are serious about the Green Terror, than as Tony pointed out Craigslist would be a great place to look to get a deal on a 75 to 90 gallon tank, which would give you a better depth for a Green Terror to grow out in.

Well I might have to scratch that idea because I am limited (for right now) on the size of tank and space! I'm on the 3rd floor of an apartment! So what other colorful fish could I home?? I also like the colors of electric blue JD!

You can still grow the green terror out in a 55, just eventually be prepared to either need to find him a new home or upgrade your tank. A third floor apartment can withstand a 75 gallon tank in most cases, unless its just lack of room inside the apartment. If its the colors that you are looking for than the African side of the cichlid world would probably bring you the most pop in a 55. Smaller Victorian cichlids like pundamilia nyererei or a good colony of Mbuna.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Are you more interested in keeping a few bigger fish or multiple smaller ones? New world cichlids are from central and south America and tend to be larger and more territorial. 1 pair of medium-sized guys or 2 pair of a smaller species generally fills a 55. Depending on the type (more for South Americans), you can also potentially add small catfish and larger tetras. The Centrals are a bit rougher and do best with only other cichlids.

Old World cichlids (primarily from the rift lakes in east Africa) are generally more ok with cramming a bunch into a tank. They do not pair, but instead form groups or harems where you can keep 3-4 species in a tank with groups of 5+ each.

Are you interested in trying to breed fish or do you just want a nice display?