• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Non Fish Pictures

mchambers

Former CCA member
Turkey

The itinerary was:
2 days in Athens pre-cruise
Cruise to:
Delos, Greece
Mykonos, Greece
Santorini, Greece
Crete, Greece
Rhodes, Greece
Kusadasi / Ephesus, Turkey
Istanbul

Istanbul might be my favorite place in the world, of those I have been. We spent a week there several years ago. It's beautiful, the food is great, there is something about it that resonates with me. (Though I'm terrified of shopping there; I feel like a sheep wandering into a wolf's den and I'm pretty sure I always leave too much money behind.) I feel that the true barometer of a place for me is how you feel the second time; that has been the case for me in Madrid (like), Barcelona (not a fan), and I can't describe the feeling of sailing up the Bosphorus into Istanbul the rainy morning of our trip. Loved it.
Years ago, I think 1992, my wife and I spent three weeks in Turkey and loved it. Ephesus, Kusadasi, and Instanbul are great, and we saw lots of other great places. Folks loved Americans.

The ruins in Turkey are actually more impressive than those in Greece, believe it or not.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I traveled all over Greece (this was the mid-90's) right after college.

I was a (newly commissioned) Army officer at the time, so 2 buddies and I took space available flights, almost exclusively.

Our first stop was Corfu, Greece, which is an island on the western side of Greece, near Albania(!). The USS Theodore Roosevelt was off the coast. They dropped a guy with the mail off...and the three of us. Awesome, awesome place...with lots of European tourists. Spent about a week there partying, diving, eating, exploring...

Next we went to Athens. It's a must-see place, but it's a large, sprawling and chaotic city. Only spent a couple of days, focused on seeing the sites.

Took a boat to Mykanos. Stayed in a little place up the hill from downtown and had an awesome time. This place is amazing...being the fit guy that I was back then...I jogged all over the island, hung on the beach, explored, dove, partied, etc. for about 2-3 weeks (there was a ferry strike). Took a couple of day trips to smaller islands (who's names escape me).

Flew (on a commercial flight) to Crete and drove across the island over a couple of days to the Navy Air Station (where we waited to catch a space-A flight home). Very different scene / vibe than Mykanos. Less touristy and more rustic but cool nonetheless. Would have liked to spend more time there.

If I would have had more time I definitely would have continued on to Turkey...

The people in Greece were uniformly warm and helpful outside of Athens. Knowing a couple of Greek words (like thank you and please) really seemed to go a long way...after a couple of weeks in Mykanos we were actually buds with some of the guys working at some of the restaurants and stands on the beach.

The itinerary that Wendy listed looked great. Did you sleep on the ship or in the various ports of call?

Matt

Interesting you would say that, Matt.
I was having this conversation the other day with someone about these pics and about Greece. Not being a world traveler, I barely ever leave the East Coast, I have to go on hearsay.
I have been told that some of Greece is not American-friendly.
I am wondering if Wendy and her husband encountered any of that.

WendyFish

Members
Mykonos was beautiful, I definitely got the vibe pretty much everywhere, "this is a place to party... a LOT."

Mostly we slept on the ship, though we were docked overnight one night in Istanbul.

We didn't have enough time in Athens to see everything we wanted to. We were to get in at about 10a.m. but we had a connection snafu in Newark and ended up getting in later so we didn't see anything that day except bars and restaurants. We thought we could cram everything into our second day but when we got to the archaeological museum it had closed early -- we figure we got screwed by austerity. Really bummed we didn't get to see that.

It was a great trip, though; I'd recommend the itinerary to anyone.