• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Glue rocks Together or Make 3D-BackGround??

Hawkman2000

Members
Sorry about the silicone 2 thing. Confused it with a few other projects I worked on recently. Glad you caught that.

About the humidity thing; I watched an episode of How Its Made, where they show the manufacturing of aquariums at the Aqueon plant. After final assembly, the tanks pass through a series of humidifiers for an hour or two, mabey more. They stated that the humidity atracts the microscopic air bubbles that are trapped in the wet silicone and pulls it out. It also slows the curing for a short time allowing the microscopice air bubbles to come out. This not only makes the seal almost as clear as the glass, it creates a better bond as well.

Personaly, I am thinking epoxy. Not that I have had a bad experience with silicone.

Eager to hear how it works for you.

Italy592

Members
Now what is I wanted to take slate a small but slightly heavy piece an glue/silicone the PVC to the slate and then styrofoam to the top of the PVC do you think that could work ??

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
+1 on 2-part coral epoxy. Used it a lot when I had my reef tanks up.

2_part_epoxy.jpg

Newguy5

Members
I have made a black slate rock stack for a center piece in my 55gal using silicone. Worked well after cured. Have to use quite a bit of it to hold the heavy rocks together in a nice looking stack. The silicone is pretty noticeable if you really look. Especially now after treating the tank for ich. All silicone is blue now! Still holds together great though

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

londonloco

Members
+1 on 2-part coral epoxy. Used it a lot when I had my reef tanks up.

2_part_epoxy.jpg

Above can get costly. Any 2 part epoxy that is safe for humans (ie..plumbing) can be used in an aquarium. I typically use 4$ two part from Walmart in my reefs.

I plan on purchasing this:

http://www.marcorocks.com/e-marco-40010lbkit.aspx

for my next set up. Reviews on it are great for holding rocks together. It dries white, I plan on painting it the same color as the rocks I use.