• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Best fish stores not in DC area

mchambers

Former CCA member
Since several folks veered slightly off-topic and mentioned some favorite fish stores in the What Do You Want to See in a LFS thread, I thought folks could mention some of the best stores they've seen elsewhere. I'm in Colorado right now, so would particularly appreciate any suggestions in Denver or Colorado Springs, but hope folks will identify good stores throughout the U.S.

verbal

CCA Members
No idea about Colorado. I have heard good things about Animal Jungle in VA Beach.

Last summer I discovered Exotic Fish and Pet World in Easthampton, MA. They specialize in koi, but have interesting plecos and crayfish. They have a very cool counter.

Carmelinas2_2.jpg

ddavila06

Members
animal jungle in virginia beach!!

i had around 15 mins to run in and out (we were sore, burned and tired and son was asleep in car =/ )

this is by far the largest pet shop i have ever seen!! ponds everywhere, really nice tanks, large displays, rarer/less common fish! A+
if anyone is heading to va beach, do check it out, is like 15 mins away from the shore

dogofwar

CCA Members
Although Capitol Aquarium in Sacramento is gone...there are three great stores remaining:

- O St Aquarium: A great little store in an old Victorian downtown. My 2'x2'x1' tanks are from when the remodel of the garage portion of the store.
- AquaWorkz: The same owners as O St (Peggy and Jack, who are, I believe, Malaysian) but a nice big store gives them the room to buy in bulk and sell more fish. These folks run both stores the way that fish stores should be run.
- JoJo Aquarium (in South Sac): If you ever wanted to see real deal flowerhorns ... Asian discus... and other nice fish, then check this place out. The most meticulously maintained store and fish tanks I've ever seen. Trophies from flowerhorn and discus competitions in Malaysia and Singapore are all over the store. Really nice folks and great Pho next door.

Matt

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Animal Jungle in VA beach is excellent. I was there two weeks ago.
Pacific Aquarium in Chinatown NYC is another good place to check out.

MAV75

Members
Exotic Fin and Feather in East Hartford CT and Aquatic Wildlife in Manchester CT come to mind if anyone is ever in that area. Both of those stores had a good selection of healthy fish and even some less common stuff. I got some beautiful Comps from Fin and Feather for a great price.
The manager from Aquatic Wildlife is from the DC area, when I mentioned that I was from Va he told me that he used to work for Wally's Aquarium (RIP) in Annandale.

mrkillie

Members
The Aquarium Center in Clementon, NJ. Still kicking myself from last time I was there...1 1/2-2" Uarus for $8.99! Didn't have the room (and still don't) and it was my first time there so I was buying a few 'test' fish. No problems with them. Very good prices on most fish and plants.

http://www.aquariumcenter.biz/

Ophelia77

Members
Pet Kingdom in San Diego was the one I always took the kids to. They even took out a newt for one of Karl's scout projects and talked to him about it. We used to try to go around feeding time to watch them feed the big lizards XD Frank's Pet Shop in Streator, Illinois is the one I used to work at. Meticulously clean and the first time in my life I saw a real hedgehog:)

mrkillie

Members
Exotic Fin and Feather in East Hartford CT and Aquatic Wildlife in Manchester CT come to mind if anyone is ever in that area. Both of those stores had a good selection of healthy fish and even some less common stuff. I got some beautiful Comps from Fin and Feather for a great price.
The manager from Aquatic Wildlife is from the DC area, when I mentioned that I was from Va he told me that he used to work for Wally's Aquarium (RIP) in Annandale.

I'm gonna be in CT tomorrow - maybe I'll see if I feel like taking a little drive to check these places out. Apparently they're only 7 miles apart.

chris_todd

Members
The first LFS I ever went to, and the one that got me originally hooked in the hobby, was Elmer's Aquarium in the suburbs of Pittsburgh. The only other LFS I've ever been to outside of the Baltimore/DC area, though, is That Fish Place in Lancaster, PA. Awesome place.

mrkillie

Members
The first LFS I ever went to, and the one that got me originally hooked in the hobby, was Elmer's Aquarium in the suburbs of Pittsburgh. The only other LFS I've ever been to outside of the Baltimore/DC area, though, is That Fish Place in Lancaster, PA. Awesome place.

I remember when Elmer's was THE PLACE in the 'Burgh when I was a kid. Unfortunately, it really hasn't changed much over the years. Happy to have TFP as my LFS now :)

There used to be some really neat way out of the way stores in Pittsburgh back in the late '70s early '80s. There was a place under the bridge near U of Pitt that was open on a pot luck basis - only had fish. No tanks, filters, food were sold, only fish. Can't remember the name and it's long gone now.

toddnbecka

Members
AllOddballAquatics in Pittsburgh is still open, though doesn't appear to have as much variety as it did when Eric Bodrock owned it. Quality still looks good though, I think most of their stock is tank-raised.

mrkillie

Members
Exotic Fin and Feather in East Hartford CT and Aquatic Wildlife in Manchester CT .

Checked them both out yesterday and both carry some not-so-common fish. Aquatic Wildlife is the nicer looking of the two, but for the most part, the names ON the tanks were more interesting than the fish IN the tanks. Guess they get their shipments in later in the week. :(