• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How to clean sponges?

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I just pull them out and squeeze them out under running water. Sometimes, I fill a container with water and squeeze them out in that.
I used to use tank water to do this, but I stopped that years ago. If the sponge is the only filtration (like HMF), I don't clean it the same week I change water.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chriscoli

Administrator
Technically....squeeze them out into a bucket of tank water.

Poret is not supposed to be squeezed, it breaks down the foam structure faster. But I do gently squeeze mine anyhow. I believe you are supposed to shake the mor bang them against something and then rinse to clean them.

I often just rinse mine in tap water. I don't worry about the chlorine for several reasons:
- I always have a backup filter so if I accidentally nuke one sponge, there are backups
- if the chlorine does kill a bunch of bacteria, there are still a bazillion in there left so I'm probably ok.
- chlorine in tap water is at concentrations where things aren't instantly disinfected, but instead they have to sit in the chlorinated water for a while ... So if I'm quick at the sink and get it back into the tank, I'm probably fine.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dogofwar

CCA Members
I squeeze them out in a bucket of tank water or rinse them in the deep sink.

Running an air-driven box filter (lots of air) with a sponge (with less air) reduces the amount of crud that collects in the sponge and how often they need need to be cleaned.

For Poret, I dunk it repeatedly in a bucket of water.

Matt

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
If I have more than 5 to do at the same time, I have used the washing machine followed by a double rinse. It works well but I get comments.

Otherwise when I do them one at a time I use a small bucket of tank water and squeeze gently until the water is black. Empty and repeat twice. then put back in the tank. Doing it under running tap water takes longer I guess because of the hydraulic effect in getting the dirt out when done under water vs air.

For the flat sponges (Poret) I either bang them against the brick side of the house or the driveway and then spray down with the hose. And I have been known to walk on them when they are in the driveway between sprayings. I use some of these in my pond filter and have to clean them about monthly. The Poret ones have held up well. The similar ones I got off the internet lasted 3 months.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I squeeze mine in a bucket of tank water, even the Poret. Haven't seen any damage to the foam.

I then pour the water from the bucket on plants in my yard.

neut

Members
Rinse and squeeze under the tap (well water) or squeeze out in a bucket of water, same as poly fluff or filter pad. Pretty low tech.

+1 on dirty fish water for plants, good fertilizer.