• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

AC110 motor getting warn out be small substrate

Digital

Members
I've had my AC110 set up for almost 2 years and there's been an increasing amount of motor noise coming from both units, and one of them completely stopped this weekend. I removed motor and cleaned the impeller and shaft. The shaft had enough wear on it that I'm certain that is the problem. The impeller housing was smooth as could be. I believe the groove into the shaft is from the small caribsea cichlid substrate getting pulled into the filter.

Before I place my order for replacement shafts for both motors, I was wondering if anyone has come up with some tricks to prevent substrate from getting sucked in the tubes. I had thought about removing the lower down tube, but this won't pick up the waste floating around the bottom of the tank. Has anyone put a sponge on the intake of an AC110? The drawback would be decreased flow through the case, but perhaps this would be negligible in the long term. I'm sure the wear on the shafts is causing some amount of flow decrease.

Any idea are appeciated

Marlin

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mchambers

Former CCA member
Yes, I've put prefilter sponges over AC intakes. On the bigger filters, however, the prefilters can clog pretty quickly, so be prepared to clean it at least weekly.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
As Matt said, you can use prefilters on the intakes, but they do clog quickly. I usually keep the intakes up off the bottom of the tank and run them without prefilters.

Becca

Members
I always replace both parts at the same time. You may think your impeller is smooth, but if there's even the tiniest nick in it, you'll get a worn motor shaft like before.

I need to replace both parts on the AC70's I got at the last meeting - they are incredibly noisy. If you'd be interested in doing a joint order from Ken's let me know. They are inexpensive there, but then there's shipping... Other places charge $20 for each or just flat out don't carry the shafts.

Howie

Members
I always replace both parts at the same time. You may think your impeller is smooth, but if there's even the tiniest nick in it, you'll get a worn motor shaft like before.

I need to replace both parts on the AC70's I got at the last meeting - they are incredibly noisy. If you'd be interested in doing a joint order from Ken's let me know. They are inexpensive there, but then there's shipping... Other places charge $20 for each or just flat out don't carry the shafts.

Becca, Since I run AC70s on some of my smaller tanks, I have a bunch of NEW backup spare parts which I'm not currently using at the moment. PM me if you're interested.

Becca

Members
Becca, Since I run AC70s on some of my smaller tanks, I have a bunch of NEW backup spare parts which I'm not currently using at the moment. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks for the offer - I tacked on to Digital's order so he could get the free shipping bump. I cannot wait for my living room to be rattle-free again.

Use gravel, no sand. AC110 is very powerful, and can suck in sand. Even if you place the intake tube up high, some chichlid blow sand around during nest building time.

REG84

Members
Use gravel, no sand. AC110 is very powerful, and can suck in sand. Even if you place the intake tube up high, some chichlid blow sand around during nest building time.

What!!! Gravel instead of sand... there is no need for that type of talk here!! LOL ... but seriously that would be a lot of work. I'm sure his AC110 is not on a small tank.

Digital

Members
I'm using the caribsea ecocomplete cichlid mix. I think its listed at nominally 1.5mm. Much larger than sand but smaller than gravel.

I am going to remove the lower tubes and see if that makes a difference.

I run 2 AC110 on my 75g

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

neut

Members
Pre-filter would fix it ime, but other things you can do also. Intake higher up helps. Or hiding intake behind a tall piece of slate or other tall, flat rock makes a difference ime.

Old (very) photo showing what I like to do to hide equipment. IME it helps with sand getting in filters.

I use dolomite gravel, about 1 to 1.5 mm in size fresh. There is not need to buy sand, as over time the gravel will disintegrate into finer sand size. The finer particles will get suck out in WC gradually, and it is time to add more gravel.