• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cool christmass moss wall

Becca

Members
I do have a moss wall on my 33 gallon and it's a nice addition. My only complaint is that some fish seem to live their entire lives behind it.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I've done it, but with only mixed success. It may have the cheap T8 lighting I was using, but the moss didn't grow very well.

Becca

Members
I've done it, but with only mixed success. It may have the cheap T8 lighting I was using, but the moss didn't grow very well.

I think it also depends on what kind of moss you're using. I have a mix of stuff and some does better than others. Java moss isn't so great for it because it's kind of stringy and scraggly, but some of the other mosses seem to grow a little thicker and faster.

Jt731

Members
I actually tried to do a canopy with Riccia doing the same method and I have fantastic growth on the top and not the sides.

I got an extremely horrible batch of willow moss (from aquarium plants.com) and saved it using the sandwich. I'll try to get a picture

By the way, he mentions putting it on rocks and wood. If you are doing a dry start, you can blend the moss with Greek yogurt and paint it on

Becca

Members
I actually tried to do a canopy with Riccia doing the same method and I have fantastic growth on the top and not the sides.

I got an extremely horrible batch of willow moss (from aquarium plants.com) and saved it using the sandwich. I'll try to get a picture

By the way, he mentions putting it on rocks and wood. If you are doing a dry start, you can blend the moss with Greek yogurt and paint it on

Yogurt? Dry start? What?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jt731

Members
I found a lot more about dry starting a planted tank over at the Barr report. I don't know the whole story but he had some falling out with the planted tank forum and moved to his own.

Dry start was pretty awesome, although I still had some algae issues.

(For those too lazy to search you don't fill the tank with water and let the plants grow for a while (months) before flooding the tank. You keep the lid on and keep the humidity high. Kind of a greenhouse effect. When you initially flood the tank you push a lot of co2 because you are radically changing availability)

chriscoli

Administrator
has anyone tried to make a moss archway or tube? I made a half-hearted attempt a while back but couldn't find a way to weight it down that didn't look really ugly.

I have this vision in mind of some cories or a pleco hanging out under a moss tunnel....

Localzoo

Board of Directors
has anyone tried to make a moss archway or tube? I made a half-hearted attempt a while back but couldn't find a way to weight it down that didn't look really ugly.

I have this vision in mind of some cories or a pleco hanging out under a moss tunnel....

I've got some bamboo, your welcome to try it out you can even drill tiny holes and plug the holes with moss until they stick. I've got many ideas let me know

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jt731

Members
You can get the plastic mesh he used in sheets at Walmart and make a sandwich that is curved into an arch.

To keep it on the floor use a suction cup or two on the bottom of the tank, tie the arch to the suction cup, and then you can cover over the suction cup.

Alternatively you could just attach it to a terra cotta pot or cut a pvc pipe in half and do the dry start until it has "rooted". Probably would work better on the pot unless you used some mesh

Becca

Members

Yeah. I made one that I siliconed to the side of a curved container to hide equipment. I bet you could silicon some pebbles to it, a la the great Chuck Davis.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App