• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Everyone ok?

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I just got back from my classroom. The school has four massive (two are over 100 years old) trees laying across the grounds.

I reluctantly checked the 125 in my classroom. All fish seem to be alive, though breathing hard. I changed 10% of the water (all I had time to do before being kicked out of the building) with cooler water and splashed the surface as much as possible. I also used a large container to scoop and dump water from the tank back into the tank. I then added three battery operated air pumps (all the new batteries I had) to the tank. I am hopeful that these measures will allow for survival until the power is restored.

Oh, I also checked on the pond. My Oscar (which I put in the pond last Thursday because he was being picked on and I had no place to relocate him to), seems to be doing fine.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Good thing they got you out of there, Andrew! You might try to set up your classroom or something...

Matt

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Good thing they got you out of there, Andrew! You might try to set up your classroom or something...

Matt

Classroom was set up last Thursday. Summer school was supposed to begin today but has been cancelled for the rest of this week. I am not technically allowed to be there unless the building is "open". The building services manager should be there tomorrow morning. I won't know without driving there. Otherwise it will be Monday (if school opens as now planned) before I can get back to my classroom/tank.

My current plan is to go back tomorrow morning and hopefully get in. If that happens, I will change the batteries on the pumps (heading to Costco to buy "D" batteries soon), and change some more water. Otherwise, they will hopefully tough it out until Monday.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Thanks for the offers. I had more battery operated pumps, just no more batteries. I picked up a pack of D batteries from Costco. Hoping I can get into the school tomorrow morning.

Sent from my DROIDX

mscichlid

Founder
Casuality numbers just went up. I took the lids off of the smaller tanks for air exchange and forgot to put them back. The male Blue Gularis jumped into the next tank and ate all the cherry shrimp!

dogofwar

CCA Members
Killifish jump out.

And not much else :rolleyes:

(although Blue Gularis are pretty cool as killis go ;))

Matt

Casuality numbers just went up. I took the lids off of the smaller tanks for air exchange and forgot to put them back. The male Blue Gularis jumped into the next tank and ate all the cherry shrimp!

Shane

Members
Everyone else have lots of stuff spawning now? Nothing like a power outage "dry season."
Look close for the fry below the male.
-Shane

DSC_0741.jpg

JasonC

Members
Everyone else have lots of stuff spawning now? Nothing like a power outage "dry season."

Had an apisto put up a bunch of eggs, but the male either shot blanks, or the lack of oxygen in the water caused them to fungus. :(

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
No spawning here. :( Went into school yesterday. I did a 50% change and swapped the batteries on the pumps (they were working fine, but I don't know how long they can last). All of the fish were still alive and not breathing heavy any more. I also checked on the Oscar. He seemed hungry, but otherwise okay.

2012-07-06_10-40-26_855.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Awesome shot of the oscar. Too bad you can't leave him in there year round. Glad everything in the classroom is okay.

MarkK

CCA Members
I ended up losing one Cypricrhomis Leptosoma, and maybe a couple of J. Transcriptus juveniles.

Power came on Wedneday at 10AM. N. leleupi,tiny fry appeared when power was restored.

I was dumb to not have a set of battery operated pumps on hand and now will not be caught without battery pumps ready.

verbal

CCA Members
No spawning here. :( Went into school yesterday. I did a 50% change and swapped the batteries on the pumps (they were working fine, but I don't know how long they can last). All of the fish were still alive and not breathing heavy any more.
I am glad the fish are doing well.

I also checked on the Oscar. He seemed hungry, but otherwise okay.

Don't oscars always seem hungry?