• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Breeding Denison Barbs, aka red-line torpedo barbs

Localzoo

Board of Directors
So large number of fish a spawning mop trying to figure out how to simulate seasons light cycles and ph change might be tough.
Is he doing it for work?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
nope - this is one of his home tanks. I suggested that he contact the Chester zoo in England.

JLW

CCA Members
Abby,

Good news, they are being bred in captivity. That's why they suddenly went from being a $40 fish to a $10 fish. This is mostly being done in the far East, and is being done with hormones.

Like a lot of other larger cyprinids, I don't think this is one you're going to ever really spawn in the home aquarium, purposefully. A few people have had accidental spawns, and a few people have spawned them in ponds outdoors, but that's about it.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
nope - this is one of his home tanks. I suggested that he contact the Chester zoo in England.

Working at a marine biology center I think he prob can get ahold of the Chester zoo easier than anyone else they might even ask for help with their octopus or cuddle fish in return.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ray Lucas told me a few years ago about a hobbyist that bred them in a 125. They were the only fish in the tank and the bottom of half the tank was filled with Java moss. Apparently they would scatter eggs into the Java moss and he was able to find fry in it several weeks later.

Don't have any other details though.

Andy

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the responses. That's about what I found with my little bit of research.