• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

FX6 Spewing Micro Bubbles

rich_one

Members
Anyone have any ideas how to stop it? Air is clearly in the canister, as it makes a loud sloshing noise as it runs. But I have checked EVERYTHING. I have no idea how air is getting in. There are certainly no leaks anywhere. If I unplug the filter, the air will purge. Same thing when the filter does it's scheduled auto-shutdown and restart. It'll run for a short while bubble free, but then after about 10 minutes or so, the sloshing sound returns and so do the micro bubbles. Anyone have any tips that will lead to fixing this issue? I never had this problem with FX5s. Thanks!

-Rich

mchambers

Former CCA member
I've never used Fluval filters, but when I have had similar issues with Eheim filters, it almost always is due to a bad hose connection somewhere in the intake. Can you see bubbles going into the filter?

Hannibal

Members
Try running it without filter media in it to see if the bubbles go away. Not sure if you are using it or not but some people have reported filter floss causing them in their FX5/FX6. I can not personally confirm this as I never used it in mine. If you are not using filter floss is it possible that you have too much media in the filter?

If everything is hooked up properly I would think it would have to be the media or something is just wrong with your filter. I would try messing around with the media first though.

Good Luck!

rich_one

Members
Matt, thanks... no... no bubbles going into the filter. Chris, right now I have two coarse pads on the bottom level, bunch of bio rings in the center tray, and I had two foam pads in the top tray, though I removed one while trying to troubleshoot the micro bubble problem. I will try removing all media accept the foam blocks that surround the trays, and see what happens then. Thanks for the input, and anyone else please do chime in!

-Rich

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Rich:

I would guess there is a slight leak somewhere on the intake line if you are sure no bubbles are getting sucked into the intake in the tank. As the line is under suction, you wouldn't see a leak. Best would be to take it the intake inline apart and put it back together.

Jon

After about two months without cleaning my fx5 shoots micro bubbles. I've concluded that when the media is fully clogged the filter sucks so hard that cavitation creates air inside the filter (or something like that). I think running it without media will determine if its a media issue or a hosing, bad o-ring, or seal issue. If its still happening with no media id next check the hoses and fittings if that doesnt do it id check the o-ring between the motor and canister. Has it ever been taken apart? Do fx6 have the water change fitting on the bottom? That may not be closed all the way if theres sand and gunk in it.

Sent from my SM-S890L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fx5 and filter floss dont mix to well(atleast with a heavy load) it clogs to fast and that motor is to powerful to be restricted.

Sent from my SM-S890L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
Any airstones in the tank? This happens with my eheim because the intake is above a bubble wall I've got in the 55.

rich_one

Members
Thanks everyone for the replies! I do have airstones in the tank, but I took great care to make sure the bubbles from them do not make it to the intake tube. I'm confident that is not the issue.

Jon: I will try this after I try removing all of the media to see if the bubbles come back.

Dan: Just installed the filter on Friday night, and it is super clean... no gunk anywhere to be found.

Andrew: Coarse foam pads in bottom tray, bio rings in center tray, and two slightly less coarse foam pads in top tray (well, one now, but I had two in there on Friday).

-Rich

olzkool

Members
Get rid of the foam pads. I have used multiple fx5's for years. I'm up to having 6 and a spare now and love them. I've tried course and fine pads, blue, white, etc. all make me have to clean them way to often because of the "micro bubbles" when I take them apart the pads are always sucked down flat. I've tried regular floss as well with the same problems. Now all I run is prefilter up top and depending on which filter, bio in the bottom two or a combination of bio and purigen in the bottom two. The purigen in the seachem bags suck up and hold a lot of the tiny stuff without causing bubbles. You can ask anyone who has seen my tanks upstairs, they are always crystal clear.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Get rid of the foam pads. I have used multiple fx5's for years. I'm up to having 6 and a spare now and love them. I've tried course and fine pads, blue, white, etc. all make me have to clean them way to often because of the "micro bubbles" when I take them apart the pads are always sucked down flat. I've tried regular floss as well with the same problems. Now all I run is prefilter up top and depending on which filter, bio in the bottom two or a combination of bio and purigen in the bottom two. The purigen in the seachem bags suck up and hold a lot of the tiny stuff without causing bubbles. You can ask anyone who has seen my tanks upstairs, they are always crystal clear.

No they are not.

They are bright like diamonds lol.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rich_one

Members
Okay, cool guys... so my first move tonight when I get home is remove the pads and see what happens.

-Rich

frankoq

Members
I bet it's the pads. I had a similar issue with my 2 FX5s.
As others said, the pads clog up too quickly.

rich_one

Members
Well, whatever it was, it's over. I got home today and voila! It was working perfectly! No micro bubbles, no sloshing sounds. I had to touch it to make sure it was still working! I guess it just needed a few days to get all the air worked out!

-Rich

olzkool

Members
Glad to hear it. Seriously though, if your tank has a bunch of fish and a heavy load, ditch the pads next time you clean it or you will be doing it once every few weeks.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I bet it's the pads. I had a similar issue with my 2 FX5s.
As others said, the pads clog up too quickly.

I used the blue and white cut-to-size pads in my fx5, but I placed ac50 sponges under them so the pads could not press flat and thus create micro bubbles.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Well, whatever it was, it's over. I got home today and voila! It was working perfectly! No micro bubbles, no sloshing sounds. I had to touch it to make sure it was still working! I guess it just needed a few days to get all the air worked out!

-Rich

Good to hear... Dep on the media they can trap air. Especially with the porous clay stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app