• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Performing Water Changes

zackcrack00

Members
How do you guys perform water changes on tanks low to the ground? I have a double iron 75-gallon stand with a 75 on top and a few tens on the bottom. The hose won't suck the water into the bucket because of their equal level or something I guess. How do you do it?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

npbarca

Members
I have a 40 breeder basically on the floor and I don't have a problem. Is the siphon too big for the tank?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
+2 on getting a pump or a power head to drain the tanks. It is much easier that a gravity siphon. Cleaning the substrate can be a bit of a chore, though.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Any of the major dry goods suppliers will have water pumps and power heads. PetSmart and Petco have them too.

I prefer Kensfish.

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
I've found that using the python to clean low tanks works fine, as long as you have access to the source of water and can handle sending alot of water down the drain.

Becca

Members
Mine drains so long as the intake in the tank is higher than the end in the bucket, but a small pump would work, too.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I keep a lot of my Uruguayan fish in low and floor-level tanks, so this is something I do each week.

I just use a siphon and bucket for low tanks. Or I bust out the python if I want to do large water changes on floor tanks.

Matt

mchambers

Former CCA member
Why?

I keep a lot of my Uruguayan fish in low and floor-level tanks, so this is something I do each week.

I just use a siphon and bucket for low tanks. Or I bust out the python if I want to do large water changes on floor tanks.

Matt
Uruguayan fish have acrophobia? Or do you do that to keep the temperatures down in the winter? Or some other reason?

dogofwar

CCA Members
I try to tier the fish by temperature in the fishroom since I don't heat most tanks.

The ones on the floor, especially on an outside wall, get down to upper-50s in the heart of the winter - perfect for Uruguayan cool down.

The next level up also mostly holds Uruguayan fish (and some Centrals) and gets down to the lower-mid 60s in the winter. Surprisingly, I've found that many Central Americans also appreciate cooler temps in the winter and do great down to mid-60s...and ready to spawn when temps hit low 70s.

Matt

Uruguayan fish have acrophobia? Or do you do that to keep the temperatures down in the winter? Or some other reason?