• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pump for water change

jmessineo1

Members
So i have my large tank in the basement and I'm looking for a pump to pump the water to the path tub about 20ft away, does anyone use a pump for water changes? if so which one?

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I use an Aquatop 475 pump. I got it on sale for 40 bucks. It does the job without issue.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I use a pump hooked to a garden hose or some flexible tubing for a majority of my water changes. I have a Mag 9 and an Ecoplus 1200 that I use.

If you are changing water in a big tank, I'd recommend getting the largest pump you can afford. It makes it so much easier when you can drain 100 gallons of water out of a tank in a few minutes.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Yep

I use a pump hooked to a garden hose or some flexible tubing for a majority of my water changes. I have a Mag 9 and an Ecoplus 1200 that I use.

If you are changing water in a big tank, I'd recommend getting the largest pump you can afford. It makes it so much easier when you can drain 100 gallons of water out of a tank in a few minutes.

As usual, I agree with Jon. The faster the better. I don't think there is a particular brand you need. You can get pumps at your LFS, an online retailer, or even eBay. Virtually all will be suitable for water changes.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I use a Mag 1800 for all my tanks even 10 gallons. It comes with two types of strainers, one for leaves and big objects which is good for use in a tank with large fish or one with 1/16 inch slots which works well even in most fry tanks. I like the size for the speed it provides.
Just check out which one come with the pump so you get the strainer you want.

For newly hatched or very young fry it is still better to go with a Python and use a net over the end of the tube to prevent sucking up fry.

Gyarados

Members
Rio sells some beastly pumps for good prices. They had a bad rep 10 years ago but all of mine have been very reliable.