• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Does This Exist - Smaller, Calmer Midas Type?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
So the red devil in the auction got me thinking about wanting something with the orange/white coloration. I'd like to add something that would not kill everything in my tank and that would have the same coloration/body shape as a midas. Tank would be my 180G, currently stocked with mostly mid sized, mid aggression centrals (a. siquia, centrarchus, HRP, nic, blue acara, cutteri).

So, does this fish exist? Are midas really as evil as their reputation, as I have never kept them?

I checked around a bit on MFK, and Rapps sells a. xiloaensis, but most people who have kept them say they are similar in temperament to midas/red devils.

Thanks for your input.

Jon

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
most of the fish in the amphilophus group are known as brutes. With red devils and the like, you take your chances. I have a 5 inch female that is far more concerned with getting as much food as possible, than beating up my other fish. She will occasionally pic on similar sized cichlids, but could care less about my cutteri.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Thanks Andrew. I guess it all depends on the particular fish. Do you think the theory of adding a smaller specimen to an established tank would curb the aggression, or am I just setting myself up for a tank of torn up fish when it hits maturity?