• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Moon lights....

NYfan78

Members
Lmy idea is when i turn the main lights off in the tank i want the moon lights to be on then. So is it safe to leavethe moon lights on 24/7 or what?

Cartel

Members
Timers but you can leave then on 24/7 if you like being LEDs (usually) they don't use much power an have long life. I would do timers though

NYfan78

Members
Only issue with the moon lights is i have to unplug them and plug them in when i want them on. Is there a way to wire a switch into them you all think???

Cartel

Members
They sell extension cords with a big button on it. That's what I use for my lights since they are only on when I'm home so I open the stand hit the switch with my foot and presto! But again a timer would do the same.

Jumbie

Members
I use a timer one my moon lights I recomend trying one. Leaving them on 24/7 will also work if you want.

emartin

Members
I custom built mine using Computer Case lights which have on/off switches built in:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DUAL-12-COMPUTE...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19b9e6f23d

But I just use timers to have them go on and off automatically about a half hour before the main lights on the tank go off.

You can find them on www.newegg.com and www.geek.com too I think. They are cathode lights. Low energy, but like fluroescent lights after a while they start dim and get brighter.

I cut off the PC power supply connecter and stripped the wires and connected them to a radio shack acdc (or just dc, forget which I'll look at mine) adapter that has adjustable voltage (ie, you can adjust the brightness that way). Otherwise for deep tanks get a 12v adapter or find one around your house to use.

The lights come with an on/off switch device, but I always just use a timer set to go on about a half hour before the main lights for the tank go off. ANd I have the moonlights set to stay on for about 1-2 hours.

OR, another thing you can do especially if you have deep tanks, is to just buy a single coralife t5 fixture and put actinic bulbs in it. Has the same dimly lit blue moonlight effect :).

If I find the topic I made like two years ago when I built them I'll copy and paste it here.

It's pretty simple...just involves wire cutters, a wire stripper, wire nuts (the things that twist/splice them together), and black electrical tape.

Cartel

Members
It sounds like you already have moon lights and want something easier to turn them on. I'f you don't want to go with a timer (cheap and easy why not) then this is something similar to what I use for my lights.

ppp-pcc24510-remotecontrol-switch-extension-cords-9-ft-green.jpg

Cartel

Members
Walmart but you can find them at most hardware stores like Lowes and Home Depot you also see them alot during Xmas

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I custom built mine using Computer Case lights which have on/off switches built in:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DUAL-12-COMPUTE...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19b9e6f23d

But I just use timers to have them go on and off automatically about a half hour before the main lights on the tank go off.

You can find them on www.newegg.com and www.geek.com too I think. They are cathode lights. Low energy, but like fluroescent lights after a while they start dim and get brighter.

I cut off the PC power supply connecter and stripped the wires and connected them to a radio shack acdc (or just dc, forget which I'll look at mine) adapter that has adjustable voltage (ie, you can adjust the brightness that way). Otherwise for deep tanks get a 12v adapter or find one around your house to use.

The lights come with an on/off switch device, but I always just use a timer set to go on about a half hour before the main lights for the tank go off. ANd I have the moonlights set to stay on for about 1-2 hours.

OR, another thing you can do especially if you have deep tanks, is to just buy a single coralife t5 fixture and put actinic bulbs in it. Has the same dimly lit blue moonlight effect :).

If I find the topic I made like two years ago when I built them I'll copy and paste it here.

It's pretty simple...just involves wire cutters, a wire stripper, wire nuts (the things that twist/splice them together), and black electrical tape.

Ed-

Good idea. I think I'm going to build one that has moonlights for the three tanks we're setting up in my basement rec room.... the 180, 150 and 75. They are spread out along one wall, but I think all of them shining blue after lights-out would be pretty sweet.

I may hit you up for some help when I get the ball rolling. :)

emartin

Members
Ed-

Good idea. I think I'm going to build one that has moonlights for the three tanks we're setting up in my basement rec room.... the 180, 150 and 75. They are spread out along one wall, but I think all of them shining blue after lights-out would be pretty sweet.

I may hit you up for some help when I get the ball rolling. :)
Sure :).

I may be able to get one of the lights loose (I think I made an extra one to add more light that I should be able to get loose) to bring to the meeting to show you how I made it. It's very simple...