• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How does one transport tanks during a move?

skanda

Members
As the title says, How does one transport tanks during a move? Is it wise to store them in storage
Can you put them in U-haul and transport them? How can I do this without cracking any of the aquariums? Any help would be appreciated.

verbal

CCA Members
How far are you moving? Do you have any overlap? What size tanks?

Moving fish can be a real pain.

One thing I did that made my move easier was I rented a storage unit for a month(many places the first month is a dollar :)). As many tanks were taken down and moved into storage as possible. Then they were available to move to the new place.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I always moved small ones in my SUV, and larger ones in the back of a truck, secured with tie downs. I wouldn't trust them in a Uhaul unless they were on the bottom and well cushioned or secured.

I am actually picking up a 200 + this weekend and looking at using and old mattress in a trailer strapped down securely. my 180 and 125s I moved all in my SUV... The 220 I rented a uHaul.

Becca

Members
Not the way I've moved them, that's how.

Seriously, though - set up temp housing for the fish (rubbermaid bins with sponge filters that can house them for an extend time if needed), empty the tanks, and cushion them. You can use a U-Haul, but just don't stack them willy-nilly.

If you lose one, you're not alone.

1badmarine

I've moved several in my truck. I always use tie down straps and furniture pads, so the straps aren't pressing on the glass

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Howie

Members
Ive moved tanks in my SUV and used old comforters and duvet covers and wrapped them with gorilla tape. Works like a charm.

I learned the hard way from my last move that it is not worth to move live fish. Better to sell them all and start all over. I was too busy in the move and couldn't set up the tanks in the new place fast enough to save the fish. The fish were kept in coolers with sponge filters for 2+ days and started dying on the second day. I couldn't do anything but to net out dead fish out one by one to prevent further loss. At the end I lost 90% of the fish and regret not selling them cheaply.

JLW

CCA Members
If you're moving house, you need to think about how to prioritise the fish tanks. As Andrew said, you often wind up with other priorities and the fish take a back seat. Next thing you know, you're exhausted, finally figured out where your bed is going to go, and the fish are on day three of living in a rubbermade tub. Set up some good stock tubs, buckets, or similar to house the fish, and make sure they can live in these indefinitely -- aeraters and air stones, ammo lock, poly filter, etc. are all needed.

This time of year, temperature also plays a big part in it. You want to keep those fish warm on the move, and in the new place. The fish should be the last thing to go onto the moving truck and the first thing to come off. If possible, don't put the fish in the back of a truck -- transport them in the car or cabin with you.

Make sure you've emptied the fish tank completely before attempting to move it, and not just of water. Get buckets with lids to take the gravel. Don't try to transport anything inside of the tank -- one good bump and a rock can bounce, smash the bottom, and the end. Put the fish in buckets or bag them, and add a good dose of stress coat to their water. I prefer moving fish in buckets to bags, as you don't have to worry about packing and unpacking them. If you're moving plants, do not put the plants in the same containers as the fish -- they can let out some nasty juices that will poison your fish.

And, you really want to try to get that fish tank set up as quickly as possible. If you've kept the gravel reasonably wet, you won't have much loss of bacteria. Figure out where it's going to go, get it up and running ASAP. Make a mental check list of the stuff you need to set-up the tank, and make sure that they're together. Not just the obvious -- filter, dechlorinator, etc., but ... where'd you pack the Python, faucet adapter, buckets, etc.

Keep the tank lights off for a day or two at the new place. It'll ease stress on the fish. And, when you figure out that you don't like the tank where you put it, give it a week or so before you move it across the room. :)

If it's a short distance move, it's not a bad idea to leave the fish tank behind until everything is moved, then make a separate, special trip for it. Or, do this in reverse and move it first. You may also consider bringing the fish to a friend who has either a spare tank, or the space to set your tank up to baby sit the fish for a while.

It isn't unheard of to lose your fish in a big move, so before you consider it, take a good, hard look at your fish, and decide if it is worth the risk, worth the stress, and worth the trouble. If you've got a bunch of relatively easily replaceable fish, maybe the best thing to do is net them all a few days ahead of time, bring them to the local fish store, and donate them to the store. You can replace them in a week or two when things are back to normal after the move. (You may even ask at the LFS if they'll be willing to let you buy any of your fish back that haven't sold or are otherwise unavailable for a nominal fee).

fishology

Members
my 125 and stand and stuff all fit perfectly in my SUV (Ford Explorer Sport) .that is strapped in and all. I was only moving a couple miles but I would have been fine with a longer move. I moved 7 tanks all in a few hours. I used 4 or 5 Rubbermaid or like 35 gallon tubs. I did this move twice. Unfortunately this last move I lost my male and female Borlyei . hopefully this is the last move for me and my fish

skanda

Members
Hi everyone, I want to thank each and everyone of you for the great advice and tips on moving tanks, equipment and temporary housing of livestock. Actually I managed to sell of all the fish for a fraction of the cost and need only to move the tanks to a storage for a month or so before moving them. I just have to ensure that I place enough padding and strap them securely before moving them. Thanks again for all your great advice!!!!

CCA rocks!