• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sand in grow out tanks

Tangcollector

Staff member
What is everyone's opinion for sand in grow out tanks. I have historically not used substrate in grow out tanks, but I am thinking maybe I should try it. I will be using HOB filter and sponge filters in the tanks.

Jmoore

Members
I have all of my tanks in the same room so I decorate all of my tanks as if they were a show tank. I use pfs and granite rock in all of my tanks. It makes it look nice and it gives them hiding places

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chriscoli

Administrator
I've seen some weird behavior on bare bottom tanks, so I try to put a light covering of sand down once they are past their "brand new fry" phase (whatever that is). Am I imagining things? maybe....but I do use a little in my fry tanks.

I also usually put in a bunch of PVC rubble. Gives them a place to hide and rest out of the current if there is one. I'd rather have them put their energy into growth rather than running away from a bully or constantly swimming against the current.

chriscoli

Administrator
oh, and lots of java moss.and driftwood twigs if appropriate. Gives them good microfauna grazing between meals.

Yeah, you were just asking about sand....I couldn't resist the extra comments.

npbarca

Members
I use a light layer of sand in my grow out tanks. I agree with Christine about the weird behavior in bare bottomed tanks. I find my fry and juvies are more active, curious, and act more naturally in tanks with a light layer of sand and a few small flowerpots/pvc etc.

Jmoore

Members
I tried to keep my fry tanks bare bottom at one point but at some point I got a little bit of sand in each and it didn't look good so I put about 1/2 an inch in all of the fry tanks

Becca

Members
I started with bare bottom and now I do a light layer of sand or Turface. It helps catch small particles and keep them from clouding the water and adds some medium for beneficial bacteria to grow on, in addition to the sponge filter.

I also use lots of leaf litter and other hard-scape items like branches.

Sonny Disposition

You might try painting the tank bottom to give the fish more security. The advantage of sand is that it provides a place for denitrifying bacteria to live. The disadvantage is that it's easy enough to vaccuum up sand, which isn't good for the sink at the other end of your python hose.

My grow out tanks are usually crammed full of hornwort, java moss, and water lettuce. I don't need the extra denitrifying bacteria substrate, because ammonia waste is taken up directly by the plants..

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I use a light layer of sand I've noticed the fry start to act like the adults and scavenge around it also had the benefit if increasing surface area for beneficial bacteria

Ask Shannon he's seen my breeder boxes with a few crushed lace rock and sand. The fry seem to grow faster eating off the surfaces. But that's growing out Mbuna