• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

"Beginner" Apisto suggestions

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Since the second C in CCA stands for cichlid, I'd better get on board. I have a 20 gallon moderately planted tank with 6 brochis splendens and 6 non-descript danios. I'd like to add some color.

So, what's a good starter apisto? Should I get a pair or a single male to start? Do I need to provide a cave or other home? Will something as relatively small as an apisto beat the crap out of my brochis?

Some stats (if they matter):
pH 6.6
temp 72
filtration magnum HOT

A large portion of the tank is Aquasoil, so I'd prefer to avoid diggers. The other half is sand, which the brochis have pretty much moved into a big pile.

Blaise

verbal

CCA Members
Generally the captive strains tend to be pretty hardy. Cauctoides and borelli have a number of varieties.

I have had good luck with "Strawberry" apistos, which I think are Apisto eremnopyge.

I would start with a single male and see how it goes.

BevN

Members
Most of the tank raised ones are pretty hardy and adaptable. The cacs and aggies are some of the easier to keep.

They do like to have caves but will make do with driftwood. They are diggers albeit little ones. The females will excavate under the caves or wood to build a suitable spawning site.

Your temp is a little on the cool side. They may not spawn for you at that temp althought it's possible.